Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

perfmon counters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2004
US
Hello again,

Question: Is there a way to import the added counters from saved Counter Logs file into System Monitor for viewing?

I don't want to manually add all the counters every time I want to view the saved file. And you gotta make sure the counters are the same! Would be neat to just import them somehow..

Thanks

Not that I know of. A kind of workaround is to create a custom console which you can then save. This will retain the counters you choose to view & I think this works for multiple files.

James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA

System Monitor or SQL Server Profiler?

SQL Server Profiler allows you to create Trace Templates which you can save and re-use time and time again for tracking down issues.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Catadmin, talking about sys monitor.

jgoodman00, can you tell me how to do that?
Also, i've discovered that if i first open the file, and then add the counters, only the selected counters appear on the drop-downs, which makes it much faster!

FYI, This question then is better suited to one of the Windows OS forums where people who have more in depth knowledge can help you. They'll probably be faster too.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

BTW, I think you can import log settings from one log into another log. Right click Counter Logs and go to "New Log Settings From..." See if that does what you need it to do.

And you can save the console with your counters for live time traces anytime you want to open it up.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA

Correct, it will only allow you to select counters that were actually recorded.

To create a console:

Open the perfmon console (Administrative Tools, Performance) & configure it as you would like. Then select File, Save As.

You will then be able to save the console as an msc file. Opening this file will load the console with the settings you left it with. The only thing will have to do (if you are reading saved log files), is to reload the file & setup the Time Range.

James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back