Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Percentage of Total in Crosstab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slicemahn

MIS
Jun 28, 2005
CA
Hi,

I am in need of help in constructing a report in Report Studio that will capture the % of totals. I am looking to calculate the percentages for the Tenure count over the subscription total. When I insert the calculation I receive the following error:

Cognos 8 Help

OP-ERR-0115

The dimensions on the edge are inconsistent. A dimension is not the leaf on the first path 'valueSet=1'.

Details

RSV-SRV-0042 Trace back: RSReportService.cpp(626): QFException: CCL_CAUGHT: RSReportService::process() RSReportService.cpp(605): QFException: RSAsyncThrowable: RSReportService::process RSASyncExecutionThread.cpp(203): QFException: CCL_CAUGHT: RSASyncExecutionThread::run(): promptPagingForward_Request RSASyncExecutionThread.cpp(669): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSASyncExecutionThread::processCommand(): promptPagingForward_Request Execution/RSRenderExecution.cpp(544): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSRenderExecution::execute Execution/RSRenderExecution.cpp(814): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSRenderExecution::processActiveDocuments Assembly/RSDocAssemblyDispatch.cpp(235): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSDocAssemblyDispatch::dispatchAssembly Assembly/RSLayoutAssembly.cpp(135): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSLayoutAssembly::assemble Assembly/RSDocAssemblyDispatch.cpp(295): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSDocAssemblyDispatch::dispatchChildrenAssemblyForward Assembly/RSReportPagesAssembly.cpp(113): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSReportPagesAssembly::assemble Assembly/RSDocAssemblyDispatch.cpp(254): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSDocAssemblyDispatch::dispatchAssembly Assembly/RSPageAssembly.cpp(236): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSPageAssembly::assemble Assembly/RSDocAssemblyDispatch.cpp(254): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSDocAssemblyDispatch::dispatchAssembly Assembly/RSTableRowAssembly.cpp(115): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSTableRowAssembly::assemble Assembly/RSDocAssemblyDispatch.cpp(254): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSDocAssemblyDispatch::dispatchAssembly Assembly/RSTableCellAssembly.cpp(94): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSTableCellAssembly::assemble Assembly/RSDocAssemblyDispatch.cpp(295): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSDocAssemblyDispatch::dispatchChildrenAssemblyForward RSQueryMgr.cpp(860): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgr::getResultSetIterator RSQueryMgr.cpp(1028): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgr::createIterator RSQueryMgr.cpp(1676): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgr::executeRsapiCommand RSQueryMgr.cpp(1659): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgr::executeRsapiCommand QFSSession.cpp(1424): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSSession::processDoRequest() QFSSession.cpp(1422): QFException: CCL_CAUGHT: QFSSession::processDoRequest() QFSSession.cpp(1393): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSSession::processDoRequest() QFSConnection.cpp(750): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSConnection::Execute QFSQuery.cpp(112): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSQuery::Execute v2 CoordinationQFSQuery.cpp(3479): QFException: CCL_THROW: CoordinationPlanner

OK

I am new to the Cognos environment and would appreciate all help in resolving this problem.

Please give us more details on what you want to achieve (like the expressions of dataitems)
The Cognos error handling hardly ever succeeds in getting the message across.
Am I right in assuming you are using a crosstab?

Ties Blom

Blom, thanks for responding. I guess your are the resident expert in Cognos 8. Without any formal training on this BI tool myself, I am having some challenges in creating a report that may be simple in any other applications (ie. Excel, Access). Contrary to my challenges I have managed to put some things together but I need to produce a final product and I ask if you can help me close this issue:

Yes the report is a cross tab in which I have as my rows the Subscription Type Desc, Reason Code 1, Reason Code 2, Reason Code 3 and counts for these categories in columns called Acct Range Desc. Finally all columns are totalled in a column called Total(Acct Range Desc).

I am trying to gain a percentage composition of the Reason 1, Reason 2, Reason 3 within the Subscription Type Desc. So for example if the Subscription Type Desc was "TV" and the reasons read as the following:

Reason Code 1 Reason Code 2 Reason Code 3
Don't watch No Interest Watch DVDs
Don't have HD No Digital Box Need HDTV
Don't want TP Not avai in area Theme Pack Upsell

and the numbers within the Acct Range Desc for these Reason Codes within the Subscription Type Desc would be

BLANK 0-3 months 7-9 months 1 Yr 2Yrs 4-5 Yrs 5yrs
0 11 12 12 10 11 14
0 10 11 14 9 10 11
1 19 19 9 7 11 10

The percentage compositions would be

0% 28% 29% 34% 38% 34% 40%
0% 25% 26% 40% 35% 31% 31%
100% 48% 45% 26% 27% 34% 29%

Can this be achieved in a cross tab report?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

CCSlice

No expert in Cognos matters surely, but we're doing our best :)

I have my doubts whether this is possible with a regular crosstab (2 dimensions with one fact)

This type of challenge is not covered in any formal training class, anyway

It may be possible by creating seperate facts for each of value of Acct Range Desc and adding them as peers in a crosstab. In that case you could divide the fact by it's corresponding total.

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back