Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Percent of total queried records from total database records

Status
Not open for further replies.

msuguy71

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
US
Hello, I have searched through the messages here and have tried various things. What I need is the percentage of licenses expiring in 30 days from the total number of database records. I am able to get the total number of expiring (and expired) licenses by doing a query and setting the criteria <date()+30. Then in the report footer I have a textbox named "TotalQueried" that reads =Count([Lastname]) as the record source. This is attached to data showed in the detail section that I grouped together by lastname (show header/footer). This gives the correct number of total epiring (or expired) licenses.

My problem is trying to get the next calculation to work. I placed another grouping on StuID (show header/footer) and in the footer I put a textbox named "Totalrecords" and put =Count([CPRQuery]![StuID] as the record source. I then made another textbox in the report footer that has a textbox with =[TotalQueried]/[Totalrecords] as the control source. This gives me a div by zero error. I have tried various different calculations and what not both trying to make a new query "CPRQuery" and using other types of things like Count in the Query instead of GroupBy without success. How do I get this percent thing to work? Thanks.

I think your first problem is the Total Number of Licenses. You are taking a count of the Grouping by Last Name. Now many Smith's do you have in your database. They all will count as 1. You must expand this counter to a unique identifier for each person in your database. Something like Last name, First name, DOB combination. If you group on a combination of the above fields you will have a unique individual and can then count the records.

Is you [TotalRecords] control accurately counting the StuID field. Are you getting a value there? If the error is keeping you from seeing this value then remove the control that is causing the divide by zero. Now run it an verify that the [TotalRecords] control is giving you a valid count.

If it is then put back your control in the footer and put the following in the ControlSource property:

Code:
=[TotalQueried]/IIF(Count([CPRQuery]![StuID]=0,1,Count([CPRQuery]![StuID])

A Grouping section control may not use a calculated control (i.e. [TotalRecords] ) in an expression. Just restate it and also check for zero. If zero then use 1 as the divisor. I don't know if your data should really ever have zero records because if there is a detail record there should always be a value of 1 in the control [TotalRecords]. So, make sure that the control [TotalRecords] is working.

Post back if you have any questions.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Ok, I tried your suggestion, and I keep getting a question box asking for CPRQuery!StuID. I am not sure why I keep getting this request as I have a this fieldname under the CPRQuery query. This is why I am getting a div by 0 error as I tried a textbox with =Count([CPRQuery!StuID]) and it is not showing any records but when I run the CRPQuery query I get all 7 records. Can I not pull another query under this section? I have the percentage calculation under the report header so it is not between the group header/footer. I guess I still do not understand, although I do understand what and how to use the IIf function. For some reason, my report is not seeing anything that the all records query (CPRQuery) is doing.

Make a new database with just the report, queries used in the report and empty tables to my email address(see my profile) and let me see what you are doing. I will fix this up and send it back and then post an explanation.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back