Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Percent Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

indyhorses

Technical User
May 24, 2001
JP
I have developed a form based on a query. Each field has appropriate calculations i.e. Cost=[Rateperword]*[Addtnlwords]. I cannot figure out how to calculate a discount rate based on percentage. I also cannot find a reference to how to do this in any of my support books. I should be able to enter a similar formula, but just cannot figure that one out. Clues???

I don't know if this will help or not, your question is rather vague, but the general way to calculate a percentage is like this:

MyNumber/TotalNumbers = MyNumber's Percentage of TotalNumbers

Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

The vendor receives a designated discount. It might be 15%, 50%, 25%. I need to know how to enter a statement in a query that will figure that discount. I.E. Field names are: Cost Rate Per Word AddntlWords Costforaddtnal words Discount Subtotal with discount Total.

I have entered a statement in Costforaddtnal words field that says: Costforaddtnal words=[Cost]+(Rateperword]*[Addtnlwords]. This function gives me the cost plus additional words, if any. I now need to know how to arrive at the cost minus the discount figure for the subtotal. If could appear as the amount of discount (316*85 or 15% discount to give me the amount of the discount $47.40. Or it could give me subtotal, deducting the amount of the discount i.e. 316-47.40 for a total of $268.60.

Are you storing the discount on a vendor table? If so what format is it in? You can easily reference the vendor discount in your equation in the query by linking the vendor table and replacing the discount number with the field name storing the individual vendor's discount.

HTH Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Actually they told me to build the form off a query, and that's what this is built from. A vendor table and agency table. Thanks

Here's a general overview, maybe this will help. If you have a column Discount (which I see you do) stored with a number in decimal format you can use this basic format to get your answer. For the illustration I'm going to say I have a field in my query named TotalCost (which is the final cost to the customer BEFORE taking the discount), and a field name Discount which stores the discount to the customer. To find out what the FinalPrice (Price after applying discount to TotalCost) will be this can be used in the query.

FinalPrice: TotalCost - (TotalCost * (1 - Discount))

Hopefully this helps you get to your answer..

Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

You're welcome.. Sorry it took so long for me to get what you were after!

Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back