Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perc 3 re-condition question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2004
US
recently we have seen microsoft office manager report issues where we need to recondition our batteries on perc 3 set ups. Upon looking at the server we find that they appear to have reconditioned themselves. Dells website says not to run the recondition process during peak usage times ... however we have seen that when it "automatically" reconditions it has gotten pretty close towards our peak usage and not always the middle of the night. When looking at the event viewer there is an event associated with AFAMGT. So the the real questions here are:
a. Is the recondition process supposed to be automated?
b. Does it really need to be ran during off peak times ?(what type of risk is there)
C. Is there a way to stop it from running on its own?

a. On a windows system, yes, the recondition is automated. I don't recall whether or not this is the case on Linux or another OS.

b. There is no risk--it's a performance issue. When the battery is being reconditioned, the write cache on the controller is disabled in order to prevent data corruption (likely catastrophic) in the event of a power failure. Becasue there is no write cache, everything has to be written to disk immediately, thus performance suffers.

c. Sorry, I don't know the answer to this.

Thanks. Since there is no risk involved and it is only a performance issue i dont need to worry about stopping it from running on its own. The process appears to only take a few minutes to run on each server so there isnt that much of a performance hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back