Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

per server to seat licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickyjune26

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
Hi all,
Windows 2k adv server, and xp pro clients.
in Licensing tool,

I think my only question is...How do I allocate per seat connections?

Details.....

Products View
Per Server Purchased = 25
Per Server Reached = 27
...so went to per seat.
Deleted per server connections in purchase history, and added 30 per seats.

Now I logged off everyone, and it still says 25/27 on per server
Per Seat Purchased = 30
Per Seat Allocated = 0

I've logged off and on many times and still won't change...tried to go back to per server even though you shouldn't be able to, and of course, it didn't work.
thanks

i restarted the server a couple times, manually killed all sessions with it. and now it says:
per seat purchased = 25
per seat allocated = still 0
per server purchased = 25
per server reached = -18 (what the heck?)

This is really entertaining me. I've made sure that it says per seat licensing everywhere in licensing tool, but it still says that i have some per server licenses.

Is there a registry hack, or something? totally lost and technet isn't really much help.

thanks for the link, but, unfortunately, i've read this entire help file in my help center on my computer. My problem is that it's showing that i have per server licenses, even after i changed it to per seat. And also that it shows that I have -15 per server licenses used. How can that be?
If this can't be fixed, I'll probably just promote another server that i have to DC and reinstall this one.

As someone else suggested in another post, just tell all the servers that you have 99,999 licenses (keep the hardcopies of the actual CAL's you purchased for when Guido and Knuckles from M$'s BSA arrive to "audit" you.)

Alex

is that legal?

It seems like you would need to have 99,999! :)

BTW, for now, i've made all the users domain admins. Thank goodness we aren't a huge busines or have major security problems. But this is only a TEMPORARY workaround, as ridiculous as it might seem.

I don't know about W2k but in NT4 I found several sites that had stopped the license service.

When I enquired I was advised that the license service was just a tool to help you keep track. As long as you had the physical licenses as evidence all was OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back