Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Per Drop Testing Cost???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2010
US
I need to provide a proposal for a school district to Certify every voice/data cables at 6 schools. They are looking for a per run cost, since they do not know the exact number of drops?
Any ideas on how to price?

Any info helpful-
Thanks

It depends on to type of wire used[5 NP, 5P, 6NP, or 6P{all have different prices}] and the number of drops. If you are going to certify each wire that takes time so you need to know at least a best guess number of drops they will need. Factor 10% more wires[10=11] and then go from there.

Usually plenum or PVC in conduit, CAT5e, tricky installs (trailer, trenching, poles), prevailing wage, technicians fingerprinted (your cost).
Take your usual cost per drop of voice/data and multiply by 1.2 to 1.5.
If you are a little more specific on what you need it might be easier to "hazard" a guess.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

I need to provide a proposal for a school district to Certify every voice/data cables at 6 schools.

As I read this, you are not installing and terminating the cabling, just certifying it?

Then it is just hourly plus X amount per drop. Time constraints come in when you have to wait to disconnect a workstation to do the test, locating the other end at the patch panel, crawling under desks, etc.

Look at the sites, figure out how much time 2 guys with walkie talkies and a certifier would need, pad it a bit, and send it off.

It will also depend on how well the original techs were at labeling, and the scanner used. Our DSP4100 took a minute to do a scan, even longer if noise was detected. Our DTX1800 takes about 8 seconds. It makes a huge difference in even a few dozen cables.

URL]

One Million Dollars!

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

I also read this to mean you are only testing, not installing. So a simple guess as to how many you think you can test per hour then average this to give a per drop price. You mention this is in schools so I would add some for wasted time. kids all running around, waiting for classes to be empty and just trying to work around students can all add time to the job. depending on when and what level of school, don't forget the stress factor.

another factor
some of the schools may want this completed after hours when students are not around so a higher labor rate may be needed for the overtime. Plus dont forget to add a coupkle of hours for the time in the office preparing the reports copying to cd and book binders or however they want the report presented.

T.R.
RCDD

Honest officer,I know I've been thinking but i ain't thunk yet

Thanks to all....
Ive submitted the bid and came in very close to everyone else..
My bid was $10 a drop, which included labor,documentation, and as builts.
The range of bids were - $8;$11;$13;$14;$19;$25;$45
Most people were pretty close except for the guy who wants $45 a drop!!!

Thanks for the input, and hopefully I will be rewarded with project!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back