Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peoplesoft Warehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

avjoshi

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2003
Hi All,

I am building a warehouse that has Peoplesoft as one of the sources. I am fairly new to peoplesoft. [surprise]
Is there any thing specific I should know about extracting data from Peoplesoft?
Is there any good book/material on peoplesoft based warehouses?

I would appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Anand.

Did you purchase the EPM from PS? It includes Informatica as ETL tool and PS has their own Data Loader to load data from ODS Staging to the Reporting area and then further to the Enterprise Warehouse. It's a typical Inmon/Kimball hybrid model... It's quite nice from the paper, we haven't gotten that far yet in using it.

We are building a custom warehouse. We are considering PopleSoft HR, Oracle Fin.
Apps. and one more legacy source system. I have access to Fin Apps metadata and also
have dictionary for their legacy system. I don't know much about peoplesoft HR
application.
All I know is that they have deployed the HR application on Oracle database.
I believe I need to understand Peoplesoft Architecture more. I wanted to know more
about peculiarities of peoplesoft implementation (something like flex fields in Fin.
Apps.).

Some folks from dwreview.com installed a data warehousing solution for us - one of the feeds was from PeopleSoft ERP.

It works well - I think they may have a case study on this on their web-site :)

If you choose to build your own warehouse, you better select a commercial ETL tool instead of buiding it by yourself. Building a homegrown ETL is not difficult, but maintaining it in a long term will be a challenge, and plus many other features from commercial packages are not easy to build.

I second Dalli's post on commercial ETL.

SQL Server which has the best ETL component - DTS - is still a major pain to use when compared with some dedicated ETL tools.

I had painful experiences with both DTS and PL/SQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back