Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

People are disconnecting their phones 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

donbott

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
US
I work in a acall center with a G3r6, with about 350 agents. Phones are always being disconnected by people who shouldn't be moving them. Does anyone know of a way for me to get notification at my desk when this happens?

Thanks

donBott

take two of these and calll me in the morning

I have a standing rule that upper management and employees have come to understand---"if you move it---you support it."

It is very simple----and it only takes one or two times of telling people "sorry, if you want to do my job--then you must do it completely" and walking away.

I don't believe there is a way. Our agents love the 'mute' button and many of our phones have 'mute' disabled. So, what they'll do is unplug a phone they know that has it enabled and move it to their desk. This is a headache because now the phones are labeled with the wrong extension.

I always love the directive that has to be signed by each employee that states, "Due to possible loss of revenue, moves or changes done to the telecommunications systems including terminals without authorization will result in discipline or termination.

If these are programed on digital set, they will come into alarm when they are unplugged. You might could just do a disp ala and see who is the scallywag is that unplugged their set. Then take them out back......LOL

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

Problem is it's a 24/7 center and I can't check the alarms all the time. I'm thinking about snipping the tab off the keepers so they can't be unplugged.

DonBott

take two of these and call me in the morning

This is just a deterant but how bout cutting the clips off of the line cord. This way it's a little more difficult to unplug the phones. Proper management and accountablitity works well too. I am going to try the disp ala myself. thanks for the tip

Assuming you don't have many alarms popping up, you can use ASA to alert you. Under the Fault and Performance section, click Monitor Alarms. You can then configure it to report on all alarms (or filter out common ones for your system). Once set, configure the schedule to run every X minutes. The first time you run it, you'll get an alert for the existing alarms, but after that only for new ones.

Once somebody disconnects a digital station, it generates a warning that ASA will pick up. The only drawback is you have to have ASA running when you want to be notified. Also, if they plug a station back in right away, the warning will go away and ASA might not pick it up.

Tell the first level managers that all unauthorized moves will come out of their budjet directly. Let them solve the problem, it is their responsibility.

put metal tape around the plug, and wire that metal tape to an electrical outlet. Someone will try to unplug it once, and never again. Or, just do what I do. Take a plate without any holes in it, a cover plate that is used in homes sometimes, and fill an area out in the side just large enough for the line cord to fit through. Then, plug the line cord in to the keystone jack, and put the cover on, feeding the wire through that little notch you made on the side of it, then you will have to unscrew the plate to get the plug out of the jack. Up at the phone, just snip the tab off of the plug. And anyway, if ringing phones get on your nerves then why on earth are you working at a call center? Oh, and if this is a large call center and it sounds like alot of work to be filing notches out of 50 billion different plates, just use a 1 port wall plate, with a keystone jack, but dont actually "snap" the keystone into the plate, Glue it or Duct tape it to the back of the junction box. If that doesnt work, its time to break out the paddle, one with the little holes in it.

going along with what mikeydidit suggested and that you are a 24/7 operation, within the display alarm command set the resolved? field to yes and enter in the time frame that you are not staffed to verify alarms that were generated while you were not there.

If u don't have Avaya maint, u could have the "set options" changed so the pbx would call out for even "warning", which the unplugged set would be.

Too bad it can't do this... or can it?

When the phone is unplugged, can the port automatically busy itself out? Similar to T1...? This way they'll have to call you to release the port - and you say, "Call the helpdesk and open a ticket, our SLA is within 3 days".

Just a thought.
Chris

Thanks for all the help. I'm using ASA to check on a regular basis for me. Two phones disconnected at 6:00 this morning. Oy Vey

DonBott

take two of these and call me in the morning

If they have been warned about disconnecting their phones, take their number out of the hunt, call their supervisor and let her/him know you took that member out of the group because they have been unpluggung their phones. You wont have to look at display alarms for very long...

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

You can tell the user or their manager just about anything, because chances are they know nothing about the switch. I suggest that when you identify a phone that has been disconnected by the user, busy the station out, then tell the user/supervisor that by disconnecting the phone without applying the correct button strokes they have shorted out the port. And repair it at your convenience.

When the supervisor realizes that the employee is not very productive because of their stupidity, it will not happen again.

But that still brings me back to my main question. If you get sick of ringing phones, why on earth are you working in a call center?

What you can do is run an automated daily or hourly batch on "disp err" and then filter out for error type "513" on mtce type dig-line, and take it from there.

All of you know how it goes. Regardless of where you work, their are some people that have to be made to do their jobs. A couple of things that I done here may help some of you where you are.

1. I laid out the ACD group for all the department heads (on one particular group that was having problems) and made it simple for them to understand the concept.
2. I labeled all the phones with "At work" for login code, "At break" for aux-work and "go home" for the hunt group night service.
3. I have setup VU stats on the supervisor’s phone so she can see how many are logged in, queued calls, abandoned calls, average speed of answer, and talk time.
4. I also run reports on these groups for the supervisor and the department head, so they can see what members are doing.

These are just a few things that you can do to try to make someone do their job and help the supervisors see exactly what is going on in their groups. The employees that were unplugging their phones, turning down the ringers, or staying in aux-work mode have either started doing their job or have been replaced with people that would.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back