Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pentium S 100Mhz CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

upduke

Vendor
Feb 11, 2004
AU
I have an old Pentium S 100Mhz CPU with Intel 430FX PCI BIOS Pent(R) processor Version 1.3.

Using Windows 98 installation CD, I try to format 8GB Hard Drive. After deleting all current Partitions, and when I tell it to Format the HDD, it only creates a 1GB Partition. Is this 1GB the limit for this CPU and motherboard? or is something needs to be configured so that I can use all of the 8GB HDD? Any help will be appreciated?

sorry but this is the right forum i am in the wrong forun

[bomb]

There is probably a limit in the motherboard it may be only able to see the first 1 gig of the hard disk, this has nothing to do with the processor though, but this processor will not support multithreading that is needed to run win 98 only O Systems like win 3.1 that where only capable of 1 task at a time.

See if your BIOS has an HDD Auto Detect option, AMI BIOS has it on the right hand side of the sreen once you're in the BIOS. If it detects a incorrect size in the BIOS, see if there is a BIOS update to fix the issue (if you can find it on the MoBo manufacturers web site). You can also try to put in the values manualy for the HDD, but this is only an option if you know the settings. If that fails you can always try a utility from the manufacturer of the hard drive. Go to their web site (Maxtor, or Western Digital for example) and try to find a utility that bypasses the Mother Board BIOS settings and loads at boot up, I forget the technical name for the software but it was available when 4 and 8 gig drives just came out, a lot of older systems did not support them past 2 gigs and you had to use the software to fool your BIOS. Also P100 should work fine with Win98 (might be a bit slow but try to have at least 48 meg memory).

Hope this helps.

Dude,

Throw out that dinosaur. Presently, I use and old Compaq Intel P166 box as a stand for my new computer! It works, but crawls.

You can get a MUCH better barebones system (Case, hard drive, memory, newer motherboard, faster processor), for a couple hundred bucks (check out TigerDirect.com).

Time is money, and even if you do get this system up and running, you'll be spending alot of time just watching it boot up!!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Hi there, no mostlikely it's a limit of Win98... the BOOT partition (Primary partition) has a limit of 1024mb... by creating two partitions 1 Primary (Boot) and an EXTENDED Partition it should function...

Question - does the Mainboard recognize the HD with it's full capacity? if yes then you got your answer above... if no then it's the Mainboard...

Ben

PS - I could be wrong...

DOS seems to have issues with this (BIOS would not prevent it from creating a 8 gig partition, old prevent from booting). I would also recommend a 1 gig and a 7 gig partitions (partition magic is a expensive but good program to work this kind of stuff (gives warnings...)

SirNuke (first 1014)

Not sure about some of the advice mentioned above, but this I can say...

Win98 is not the problem here. When you created a new partition on the drive, did you use fdisk? And if so, did you use the Win98 version? It should have asked you to enable "large drive support" giving you access to FAT32.

Regardless, FAT16 has an upper limit of 2GB, so the 1GB problem you have probably has nothing to do with the file system either. I would just wipe the drive clean by using the Win98 version of fdisk to delete all partitions and recreate a new Primary one. Before you actually make a new partition, record the available disk space given in fdisk and report it back to us.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

And what does the BIOS think is out there? And can you change it or auto detect it.
You might want to go to the manufacturer's site to see what the specs are.
There are occasions where you might need a zero fill utility to wipe out the partition table, when all else fails to get it clean to create a new partition.
I would suspect that when you get it sorted out you'll have most of the drive available to 98.
You might also consider getting a bootdisk to match from and use it to set things up. It is an extra step, but it gives you some absolute control.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Just to make the point that I had an old 486 DX4-100 running 98, so it certainly isn't the processor. Get Partion Magic, that should be able to merge your unused space with your allocated disk space and give you access to the full 8 gig.

upduke

cdogg is right follow his advice. I have one with the same CPU but with Award bios 1.0 and 40meg mem. It works great except it does not recognize my CD in the bios. But the CD reads okay and I used it after I fdisk the hard drive (8.4 GB) to all one partition.

Sorry, CDOGG you are right... about FDISK, after rereading the thread, I noticed my error... I bow and stand corrected... (darn I should read more closely...)

Ben

Not a problem...I wasn't singling anyone out. I just wanted to make it clear that the OS shouldn't be a factor.

Cdogg - I know, I didn't take it as an offense, just pointing out that I acknowledged my error of thinking... btw you said what I actually meant, the FDISK option...

Ben

PS - I don't get pissed off easy, I just get even (*G Joking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back