Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pentium m query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Aug 3, 2004
GB
I have a question about the new pentium M processors which are appearing in the newer laptops. I am aware that they save battery life.

I am currently aware they go up to 2.0ghz, a middle of the range one being around 1.7ghz. Would this have enough processing power to run many applications at once, including Oracle?

In anybody's opinion, is a Pentium M worth getting or is it best to get a desktop replacement e.g a P4 3.0ghz.

I am a user who will use oracle and programming tools, probably running up to 10 programs at one time(not all the time of course!)

Thanks,

Alex

The Pentium M are amazing CPUs. You be very pleased. If you are using it in a laptop - it is a no brainer. P M for sure. In 3D application the P M will actually outperform a P4 3.0 GHZ.
If it is for a desktop - the aopen i915GMm-HFS is a great motherboard utilizing the P-M on a desktop - things just get a little pricier due to the higher cost of the P-M. In this case I'd go P4.

There has been a comparison done on this board against P4 3.6 GHZ Athlon FX 53 - in most benchmarks the P-M was holding on very well - in 3-d marks being only being topped by the highest End AMD cpu.

On a laptop - the heat and power drain are just excessive using a P4 - performance gains are minimal or nil.

Cheers

mike

I don't know if I'd go as far to say that a Pentium M 770 (the new 2.13GHz model) outperforms a Pentium 3.2GHz+ model hands down, but I'll definitely give credit where credit is due. They are impressive for their speed and FSB ratings, not to mention low power consumption.

You can rest assured that if you go with a newer model (2nd-generation Pentium M's) that have the 533MHz FSB, you will get a much higher performance than what the MHz rating tells you. That's why Intel started using a different naming scheme similar to AMD. Look at the number, not the MHz when comparing to other Intel CPU's.

Some literature that might help:

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I've benchmarked several P-M machines and compared them to standard P4s and mobile P4s. Although I haven't had chance to benchmark any of the second generation P-M chips.

I've found the P-M processors (overall) to be rubbish. All of the benchmarks I've run seem to indicate that the P-M has about 2/3rds of the power of a 'normal' processor.

The only reason these machines should be purchased, is if you spend a long time without mains power as the P-M processor uses less power than a standard P4.

Don't fall for this Intel PR stunt!

Yes, centrino technology may be wireless and last a long time. But if it can be outperformed by a Mobile P3, I don't see the point!

GringoMcC,
While I share some of your skepticism on the 1st-generation P-M's, I don't think I would go as far to say they could be outperformed by mobile P3's. If you look at that first link I posted above, you'll see benchmarks where the 1.6GHz P-M easily outperforms a 2.2GHz P4-M.

The P4-M's where the mobile P4's that existed before the Centrino came out. It was accepted that their performance beat out the mobile P3. So this "food chain" analogy would suggest that the P-M is superior to both.

Bottom line is that you don't purchase a laptop for top-notch performance. The desktop is always 6-12 months ahead in overall performance. You get a laptop because you want to be mobile and compact.

Most applications will run fast enough on any of the P-M's, to answer the original question. I wouldn't settle for less than a 1.7GHz P-M.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

The only reason these machines should be purchased, is if you spend a long time without mains power as the P-M processor uses less power than a standard P4."

Which is exactly why I bought a laptop.

"Yes, centrino technology may be wireless and last a long time. But if it can be outperformed by a Mobile P3, I don't see the point!"

There is absolutely no technical basis for this claim.

I just got a Dell Latitude 610, which is Sonoma based. I have a Dell Latitude 600 PIII - PM4 - 1ghz that I intend to replace with this new unit. I can assure you that there is absolutely no comparison -- the new Sonoma based laptop is significantly faster, and I get easily 4+ hours on battery, which even with the largest ION batteries I get get for the earlier Latitude, and using two, I could never approach.

Bill,
I drool with envy! Nice choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back