Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pentium 4 running at 533mhz. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubi

Technical User
Jun 5, 2002
US
why does the pentium 4 northwood run at 533mhz fsb and the athlon only run at 266mhz on the same stick of ram?

the p4 is made to run with a 533 fsb and the athlon a 266, the athlon cant go any higher, sorry i dont have the specifics right now, but im sure somebody else has the technical and mathamatical reasoning why

Actually they both only run at 133... The Athlon just has two "channels" to output data (i.e. 266 mhz) and the Pentium 4 has four "channels" (i.e. 4 x 133 = 533). (The original pentium 4 only really had a bus of 100mhz and hence it ran at 4x100 = 400 mhz).

-Brad

see i told you somebody would know the specifics off hand, from what i just read he is exactly right

yeah i know all about it being quad-pumped. but i need to write an essay on this to my teacher and ive been searching for a week and all ive gottin right is the first paragraph the rest is irrelevent according to him. so the athlon cant be over clocked past 266mhz?

i dont beleive the fsb is cuz thats what is 266 to overclock you chand the sysclock and the cpu frequeancy either in the bios or on the board itseld , for example my sysclock is 13 and my cpu freq is 9.5 so my proc runs at 123.5 or 1235mhz or 1.2 ghz,

somebody please tell me if im wrong, and i might have messed up the sysclock and cpu freq

thanks [evil]

Well, it has nothing to do with over clocking. For instance an athlon has a bus of 133... but this can be over clocked to achieve higher results... ie 143 x 2 = 286 bus. But I don't understand what information you are looking for. Can you tell us what the paper is supposed to be on and what it is that you need to know about the processors?

Thanks,
Brad

ok its supposed to be on how does the p4 run at 533mhz, the athlon at 266, and the manufacturer rates it at 133mhz. so far he says ive only got the first paragragh right. the rest is irrelevent. ive spent 2 weeks on this and havent got anywhere.

wouldn't that be because of the P4 Utilising 4 Chanels instead of 2 for the amd ?? Is it something to do with tha arcitecture (how eve ya spell it)....

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

Tell him that you've researched it and discovered that his essay topic only warrants a one paragraph reply (based on the info here)

Thats what I would have done. :) [smurf]

lol i told him it only deserves 1 paraghraph and he laughed and told me to try again.

thanks alot for the hlep guys. i appreciate it, i think il be able to get this report done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back