Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pentium 3 compaq mobo powers up when mains lead attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

kes101

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
GB
Hello friends and thanks for looking at my problem. I have just sold a Pentium 3 motherboard to a guy who is complaining that when he connects the mains lead to the PC it powers up immediately(no start button being pressed on the front of the system). I have sold about 30 of these boards and they all do this. Personally i dont think its a fault, as once the lead is connected you can turn the machine off in the normal way. But once off if you pull out the power cord and push it in again then the system starts up. Any one got any ideas?? This guy is giving me some real hassle. Board is Compaq socket 370 with Pentium 3 800MHz cpu.

I had a machine once that's power button was either on or off. So if it was set to on and you plugged it in, it powered up. If it was set to off and you plugged it in, nothing happened. I also have computers at work that turn on for a few seconds right away as soon as you plug them in. They turn off after a few seconds and I'm not sure why it is that they turn on. I'm wondering if in this case the power switch is set to "ON" already.

-Dale
"There's no such thing as bad luck, just an absence of good luck.

This is very common, if you have a switch on the rear of the PSU you can simply ensure it is 'off' before you plug in the lead.

Either way, it's not a fault.

Hi again

The board powers up even when the power switch cable is not connected. As soon as the power supply receives juice the board fires up. Once running then can be shut down and re started using the normal procedure. But if you switch the mains off and on again then the board powers up again. As i said before i don't consider this a problem. But when i speak to the guy i sold the board to i want to be able to tell him something other that i don't know.

In BIOS setup, you will find a setting "When power is resumed".... You are given 3 choices - 1. ON 2. OFF 3. Previous State." This is designed for areas with common power problems (or servers). Just set for "Off", and it won't turn back on by itself when plugged in.

Thank you everyone for your help. This problem is now resolved. What a top site this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys i totally forgot to tell you how the problem was solved. It was all down to micker377 and his suggestion to change the setting in the BIOS market "when power is resumed" just set this setting to OFF and all is now well. Thanks again guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back