Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Penmanship in the Digital Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I recently realized that I've so adjusted myself to typing most everything I "write" that I am losing my ability to write with a pen/pencil. I've never had the best hand-writing, but I could sure write whatever I wanted before I got more and more dependent upon a keyboard.

It seems as if I've lost some muscle strength or dexterity in some muscles in my writing hand. I can write a couple of sentences, maybe a paragraph, now, and have to take a break, b/c of cramps in a few muscles in my hand.

I thought I'd ask Google if others had similar issues, and I found this short interesting blog post:

I think the ability to write should always be important. For instance, you never know when you may be in a circumstance where [shocked] you cannot easily access a computer keyboard.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the importance of penmanship in a digital age?

Westi, that's a rather unusual take on the usual situation where the pharmacist seems to be the only person qualified/able to decipher doctors' scrawl.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

I can type 150 words a minute and then delete 140 just as quickly.
[pc2]

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Ken
I think that is why they can read the doctors scribble, because their own writing is worse.
I am also faster typing than writing but I still have to glance at the keyboard intermittently to hit the right letters and with lots of backspace in between.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Sympology said:
I can type 150 words a minute and then delete 140 just as quickly.
That reminds me of my dad...he memorized over 77,000 different telephone numbers...[hide]He just didn't know whose they were. <grin>[/hide]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

LOL. My dad always said (of himself) "I can type 100 mistakes a minute". (Yeah, he overestimated that... he couldn't type 30 mistakes a minute!)

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Personally, my handwriting stays constant (it was never great to begin with) due to a great deal of note-taking. I'm in meetings nearly every day, and I tend to take a lot of notes and I need to read them, so I have to keep the penmanship at a reasonable proficiency.

And for this purpose, I don't see PDA's replacing hand-written notes, at least not for me. I've gone down that road, from graffiti to direct stylus doodling, and no electronic tool--laptop, pda, blackberry, whatever--can beat my own handwriting on paper for note-taking. Plus, a lot of my note-taking involves flow-charting and that's too cumbersome to do on a laptop when you're in a setting like a meeting--I'm miles ahead doing it on paper and then digitizing a final version later.

Just my 2c.
--Jim

If I slow down I can write okay but long ago (before computers) I started printing instead of cursive so I could read my own writing.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

I tend to print because I want to be sure other people in my dept. can read my notes because, aside from my signature, my handwritting is awful.

Actually, I tend to join the printed letters together in a flowing manner to I guess I use a hybrid form of manuscript & cursive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back