Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peere-to-peer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hojoho

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
I am trying to set up a small network between two computers using a crossover cable. I am running xp on one machine and Win2K on the other. I have all the tcp/ip setting set up correct and the ethernet cards are set correct and working. I have the workgroup set up as well as file sharing turned on. For some reason, neither machine will see the other. I am pretty sure that the cable is fine because if i unplug the cable anywhere, both machines say that the network cable has benn unplugged. I have set up networks before, but using hubs or switches, never have i used a crossover cable. One more question as well. Do i have to use file sharing in order to see the other computer. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Can each machine ping the other one?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

No. The machines cannot ping each other. My Win2k machine can ping itself but not the XP machine and the XP machine cannot even ping itself. I have internet connection sharing running and it is giving my xp machine an ip address over DHCP. So I know the connection between the computers are good. I ahve been able to see the XP machine but not access it even though I have share my hard drive on that machine.

I don't trust the internet connection sharing networking capabilities!! I much prefer to set up the networking components myself!

Try sharing another folder on your machine! When you say that you can see the XP machine, is that from the Win2K machine? If so, what happens when you try to access it?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

There is a problem straight away if you say that the winxp machine can not ping itself.. so other protocols are not going to help.

Trying going to a command prompt and ping 127.0.0.1 and see if it gets a reply.. In xp you havent got the inbuilt firewall set up to maximum or anything have you?

What are the two ip addresses, subnet masks?

Cheers

Terry

Once you are able to see the machines, you still may not be able to access the folders. You said you could see the xp machine from w2k. You will have to setup a guest user, or some sort of user. Easiest is just to go to the properties of the guest account, advanced and uncheck the box that says "Guest User Disabled." Don't know if that is the proper way inside xp, but it that is how it is when you set it up through w2k.

Like TJUK said, the deal about the firewall could keep you from seeing the other comp. What you might want to do is to just disable the firewall while networking, then when using the internet turn it back on. To disable it, you want to go to the network properties, advanced tab, and then uncheck the firewall box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back