Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peer to peer one way only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mungoman

Technical User
May 18, 2006
AU
I am looking at 2 different, but similiar Pc's running XP Home.
If I dont set IP Address/subnet the both report limited connctivity.. When I do, making unique IP for each and having the same group name, although the C; drive is fully shared ( or so it seems) only one PC can actually open the icon in the workgroup folder. The other just comes up with a "Xx is not accessible, you may not have permission..etc.." Then mentions "Logon failure".. "has not been granted the requested logon type"..

I think there is a simple remedy for this but my knowledge falls short of knowing it..

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Thanks Bc... It didnt have the NetBios over TCP/IP enabled on either PC... but that didnt help the problem.
It also has file & print sharing ticked in the Firewall settings...
The strange thing is, on the offending PC it doesnt display the icon/s for the other PC in the Local area Network window under Network Neighbourhood... as it seems to do on all others in here..
I ran throu the first link you mentioned.. but all seems OK that way..

The users do not have permission to connect to the remote computer. To resolve this problem: on the remote computer, select Administrative Tools>Local Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment, right-click on Access this computer from the network>Properties>Add Users or Groups, add everyone or any users you want to be able to access the computer from the network.

Thanks again.. that worked fine on XP Pro > XP Pro setup but this one is both XP Home, and there isnt a section in Admin tools for Local Security.. obviously one of the differences between Home & Pro..

On XP Home:

. Download NTRIGHTS.EXE and place in \Windows\System32

Direct Download:
. Copy/paste the below into notepad and save as fix_access.cmd :

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

Then use Explorer to double click fix_access.cmd to run it in a CMD session.

Reference:

Ok..done that... running the .cmd file indicates that it is working... but I still am unable to access the other PC. I think I did say that the first PC reads this problem one just fine... it shows it in both local network and Workgroup Computers.. whereas the the problem PC only sees the first one in Workgroup Cmputers.. that in itself may have nothing to do with it.
Once I followed the steps you outlined on both PCs do I have to run the .cmd file each time I reboot??

No, it is run just once.

One the problem PC, do a Start, Run, CMD
Then type Net View

Write down any error messages and error codes and post them back here.

Ok... both PC1 & PC2 report no error, show both as OK.
In the meantime I've hooked both into my main network with a common workgroup name. I can successfuly ping any two of the three from any one of the three.. PC2 is the one that has been the problem, I'll call the new one PC3.. With them both in the larger network PC1 sees all three in local network and can view any.. PC2 does not see PC1 in Network neighbourhood, only in workgroup computers.. but cannot read from it.
The twist seems to be that the PC3 (the one on the larger net) can read the so-called problem PC2 but not PC1, which is really just the original problem. could it be PC1 that is stopping others from reading it? I've even put a new network card in it to check.. no difference. The crossover cable is a out-of-the-pack length that I use OK on other PCs.

How are you connecting together more than two machines with cross-over cable?

I'm not/can't.. I mentioned it was part of a larger network.. its through a hub... I changed cables to suit.. the crossover is purely one to one..I just tried them on the hub to see how they behaved.. Sorry for the impression..

Ah... dont bother about it... its exceeded my time limit on such matters.. I'll nuke the whole PC and just reinstall.
Regardless, I appreciate all your advice, and will keep it in mind for future work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back