Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peer -to-peer Network Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmb

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
GB
I,m trying to set up my first newtwork. I've got sevral win 98 machines connected via a D-link 8 port hub. i wanted to share certain folders from within a drive form a single PC - How do i do this??

Are there any useful web sites for this information?? couldn't seem 2 find any apart form peep trying 2 sell me n.works - any help will be appreciated.

thanks in Advance
Parm

From Desktop right mouse click Network Neighborhood.
Select Properties.
Click File and Printer Sharing button.
Check boxes as appropriate on the pop-up dialog box.
Select Identity Tab and enter a Workgroup Name - this name MUST be identical for all machines.
Click OK a few tmes . PC wll nstall necessary drivers and machine needs to reboot.

From Windows Explorer select a folder to share, then right mouse click.
Select Properties.
Click on Sharing and fill in as approprate.

Important! If you are not using a firewall get one. I recommend either ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall. In both cases they have a free version and a "Pro" verson. You pay for the Pro. Choice is yours.

Note. You only need one protocol - TCP-IP to do all your
networking. See Steve Gibson's Website ( for a great discussion on networking and tests to determine your vulnerablity.

Good luck.

put any files you want to share in a folder and right click the folder and you should get a "sharing..." option in the drop down menu

hope this is what you were looking for good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back