Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peer 2 Peer in Java, How to??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovelyAngel

Programmer
Mar 17, 2002
GB
Hi everyone,

Can you guys tell me how to start developing a peer2peer system in Java, I get lost.

Cheers

I think the system is just like Napster. People can chat, exchange files or sth.

Something like Napster is months of specs, programming and testing. Even more if you're not sure exactly what you want.

Here's what I suggest you do. Go to and search of "instant messaging". That will yield over a couple of dozen projects that could be close to what you are looking for.

if
daniel135 :"Something like Napster is months of specs, programming and testing."

then how come that college kid who was not even a computer science major ended up writting the code??

just a question, not to offend you, if you know something i dont then i would like to know..

and btw how exactly does the sourceforge thing work? i wanted to develope certain applications of my own, including an instant messaging system, web based db gui, etc...can you please tell me how the project work in that? how is it ppl come to help you and work, who assigns the leads who assigns what is one going to be doing etc? it would be really helpful!!

thanx a lot,
Ankur

I'm not offended. I don't have a CS degree myself, and don't think that's a requisite for doing really good work.

Just about anyone can write something that works in a short amount of time. But there are other criterias as well: performance, extensibility, maintainability... While you can get something off the ground really fast, it takes months before it's "stable".

SourceForge won't guarantee people will volunteer for you, but it will give you visibility and a place for people to see your work and download it. But you might be able to recruit right here!

CS degree makes no difference - what makes a difference is logic and fine-tuning it. I have met great developers who have Eng Lit backgrounds or straight from college.

It is not so easy initially gaining momentum to a new SourceForge project - but it is well worth it once you do. Let me know when you get started, I would be very interested in participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back