Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pecuiar Unix printing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwest1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
GB
Unix is an intelligent case sensitive app so our Unix bod insists. The problem is we have a unix based application which utilises two ways of printing via WIndows. Unfortunately when prople add a printer to their XP system it will put the printer share name in capitals and the server name in lower case. Sometimes both are in lower case or upper case. This is confusing the UNIX app (case sensitive). Is their a way you can force WIndows XP to put all in capitals or lowercase.
It will make the UNIX bod a very happy man.

Cheers

I too am having a problem somewhat similar. We were printing just fine from a SCO UNIX application (informix database) through a wintel 98 SE2 to an HP4050 used as a check printer. Then we put a newer machine with XPpro in the old machines place. Now the LAN servers cannot pass the print jobs to the printer. The notification message says the permissions are incorrect. I can log in to the XP as administrator and have all the sharing, etc., set up correctly I think, and still no soap.

Should the administrator UID and PASSWD be exactly the same on the XP as on the LAN print server?

I'm going to make sure about the case settings though.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back