Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peachtree DDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
A couple of clients recently asked about DDE (dynamic data exchange) when they meant DDF (data dictionary file). This made me want to look at Peachtree DDE, and what I found was amazing.

You can "call" data directly from Peachtree into Excel, for example, using DDE. I have used DDE with a couple of other applications, and that is why it exists - to allow other applications to use the data.

To see an example, place the following formula in a cell in Excel:

=PeachW|Bcs!'file=chart,range=10000,14999,Field=Balance'

This will return the current GL balance of all accounts in the range of 10000 to 14999, for the peachtree company BCS. If you look in the Peachtree help files regarding DDE, there are several other arguments, like "account" instead of "range" and "activity" instead of "balance".

This means that with this tool, you can write financial statements in Excel, and they are dynamically updated every time you record a transaction in Peachtree.

There is usually a post in here on a regular basis about how to do financial statements in Crystal for Peachtree, and my canned response is that Crystal is a terrible tool for this, and I wish that Peachtree had partnered up with FRx or F9 so you could do financial statements in Excel.

DDE is THE ANSWER for this

This is EXACTLY what F9 does for Macola, Mas90, Great Plains, etc.

This is not for the faint of heart, but this WILL WORK.

Also, This is no where near as tough as using multiple subreports and shared variables, which is the only way I know of to do financial statements for Peachtree using Crystal Reports.

This is a great tool that I don't believe is getting near enough attention, nor promotion from Peachtree. Give this a shot and let me know if you have any questions.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

I wish to have the tools that can help me in creating customised report.

However, I am a Excel novice user. I am not familiar eith the function. Can someone help on this

DDE is a programming language. You can use it with any program that uses VBscript, Visual Foxpro, Paradox etc. The orginal post seems a bit optimistic. Peachtree has to be open and a call has to be issued to it to get the data. Some of the fields are also rather obscure. It is supposed to be possible to poke into the Peachtree tables with it, but I haven't had much luck with that.

Bill Couture

dgillz,

I am having trouble trying to find or connect peachtree and excel. I just want excel prices on an inventory sheet to change everytime peachtree changes. I cannot even figure out where I could start to even find these values. If you could get me started or anyoe for that matter I'd be grateful.

DDE:
they have quite a bit of experience with PT and DDE....some examples are free but for others you might have to hire them.
I know what you are thinking about "hire them" part but honestly NOT EVEN PT SUPPORT supports DDE so.....
Depending on how much info u need to pull and from which tables u might consider also using :

that allows you to threat your company files are if they were served from DB server....ODBC etc.
or

at the end of the day...
"PT has great Accountants but horrible Programmers" :-o
that's why it is only a few $100s cost of software that is worth more!
All the best!

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

ok,ok...I did shoot the deputy but he told me he was the sheriff!

here is also a sad attempt from PT guys:

fugitive.gif

ok,ok...I did shoot the deputy but he told me he was the sheriff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back