Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE1600SC - 2nd Xeon Processor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulrober

MIS
Feb 9, 2002
GB
We would like to fit a second Xeon 2.4ghz processror to our server - is it a straight forward, fit, fireup and forget operation?

TIA

Pauly

You'll likely need to change the operating system HAL to the multi-processor version, how you do that depends on the OS you're using.

The hardware side of things should be straight-forward though. Not sure on the PE1600 but for other Dell systems I've upgraded to dual CPU they send the voltage regulator to (this is ordering the part form Dell). Not sure if you'll need that or if it's integrated onto the motherboard already.

Thanks for the info. This turned into a bit of a saga with Dell. I already had a spare Xeon processor which I intended to use. Unfortunately the power connector on Intel branded heatsink fan, was of a totally different design to that accepted by the motherboard. I tried to order another fan from Dell but was told not possible - despite the fact I had the appropriate part no's.

I eventually asked Dell if I could order the entire heatsink assembly. They said yes no problem but they had none in stock and couldn't tell me when they might do.

The only option left was the order the complete additional processor kit from Dell. This includes the processor, heat sink assembly and clips - and costs £350! Expensive when you can pick up a Xeon for around £140.

Pauly

Yeah it's a bit of a rip-off but I always order the parts through Dell as if you get any problems you aren't going to have two suppliers blaming each other etc.

well lots of the heat sinks dell has are cheap... I looked at one box of them while I worked there and oh boy they were cheap looking... they had the wrong mat.s and also they looked all smeary.. it was like 700 or so of them.

I actually have a 1600SC that came with one 2.88. I put the second in myself without issue. The only real concerns were making sure the stepping level of the new processor was compatible with the old one [within one step], and loading the MP HAL. The second processor was a genuine Dell part bought off eBay.

XMSRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back