Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE 2950 windows installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

power1243

Technical User
Aug 8, 2007
GB
Hi Everyone,
I have a Dell poweredge 2950 server. I need help in installing windows to it. Its first time i am installing windows. When the server starts booting from Boot cd.. There comes an error that windows didn't detect any harddrive on your server(There are 6 SAS drives on it). Somebody help me please that why its not detecting the drives.
Also when the server boots there is another error " 0 Logical device handeled by BIOS". I think both these problems are related to each other.
Please help me to sort out this problem.

Thanks,

power1243 said:
" 0 Logical device handeled by BIOS"
This is why windows doesn't find a disk.

As you bootup, you should be able to enter the setup of your SAS controller. Verify that the disks are recognized.

Then enter the setup fpr your RAID controller, and make sure your RAID container(s) are configured properly and initialized.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Thanks for your response Lawnboy,

Please tell me how can i enter into setup of SAS controller. I tried to go in system utility by pressing <Ctrl><C> but nothing happens. what else i can do to go into setup.

Thanks

The Dell server systems come with an 'Installation and Server Management' cd that walks you thru all the steps for loading an OS. Boot that cd first and follow the instructions. If you don't have the cd, use your service tag from the machine and look it up on Dell's website. You should be able to download an iso of what you need.

I don't have a 2950 handy and I'm not sure of the boot sequence messages, but as the machine boots you should see a prompt along the lines of " Initializing SAS controller, press CTRL-(whatever) to enter setup". If it says to press CTRL-C and that doesn't work, you need to call Dell as you have a defective machine.

I personally never use the Installation CDs.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I'd second the "use the Dell install CD's" option to, it just takes a lot of hassle out of a manual build.

thanks everyone,

i got some progress with my server with your all valueable posts but the problem is still the same ...

1. [red]Then enter the setup fpr your RAID controller, and make sure your RAID container(s) are configured properly and initialized.[/red]

i installed the RAID controller drivers( RAID 5/i) and setup the BIOS configuration utility .... I set a virtuall disk which includes all the 6 SAS physical drives....and the RAID 5 was selected..The BIOS is also enabled...and initialized the virtual disk...
All drives are forced to online ...
In physical disk management it shows all the disks with space available on them..

In Space allocaton
Number of virtual disks 1
Number of Physical Disks 6
Space available on Physical disks 0 MB
Number of free segments 0
Number of dedicated hot spares 0

When i try to boot server with these settings it now shows that
1 logical drive handeled by BIOS

But again when it starts installing windows gain the same error comes ..no hard drive was detected...

I also tried to rebuilt the hard drive in BIOS configuration ..it gives error Operation Failed..
I dont know what it means...

2. [red] The Dell server systems come with an 'Installation and Server Management' cd that walks you thru all the steps for loading an OS. Boot that cd first and follow the instructions.[/red]
i also download 'Installation and Server Management' from dell.support.com but when i run it on server it says that this disk is not bootable..

Please guide me further what to do in this situation..
thanks..

The installation cd is still the best way to load the operating system. If you copied and burned the iso file correctly, it should boot. Try the cd in another machine, if it doesn't boot, the image didn't get burned properly.
You should verify bios boot settings for the cd as well.
If you want to continue without the Installation CD, you'll have to load the drivers separately as part of your windows install.

The problem is that Windows does not have drivers for the PERC 5i RAID controller. If you can't find or use the Server Assistant CD (which would pre-load these drivers for you) you need to go to Dell's site and download the PERC 5i drivers and extract them to floppy disk. Then when the Windows install CD boots you must press F6 to specify additional mass storage devices. Browse to the floppy disk where you extracted the PERC drivers, and click OK.

This should get Windows loaded. You will then need to install the appropriate motherboard, NIC, and video drivers (all available from Dell).

Thanks Lawnboy and maultier,

the server is now detecting all the sas disks and starts installing operating system but there is another problem when it starts installing windows an error message shows that some files are missing( mostly .dll files)

is there any fault with my operating system..or i am missing some thing...

thanks

I would start over. Fdisk and wipe all partitions.

Agreed.

You ABSOLUTELY should use the Dell setup and install cd that came with the server. You will always get a good install.

GO ahead and wipe and reinstall.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back