Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE 2650 & PE 6650 initial setup? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I will be receiving these two servers shortly and wanted to know what CD ISO images I need to download to get me started. I have previously used Compaq/HP servers and like the SmartStart approach. I assume there is a similar initial setup CD that Dell provide, however the servers will be supplied without any documentation or CD's. I have checked Dell's website out and there appears to be quite a few different CD/DVD ISO images to download, however the documentation on the website (and my lack of familiarity will Dell servers) is not making this easy :eek:(

I am looking for the Dell equivalent of HP's SmartStart.

Cheers

Andy

It's called open manage.

But you can set them up without it.

I've just installed centos on my new 6450.

Thanks for that. I have downloaded the 'Dell Systems Build & Update Utility ISO' and the 'Dell Installation and Server Management ISO'. It looks like the 1st CD does a similar Assisted Install of the OS.
Is there an equivalent of a Firmware Update CD? There are various pieces of hardware in each server that have their own firmware. HP have a Firmware Update CD that contains most firmware updates for the various hardware, it boots to Linux, detects the hardware and then tells you what firmware has updates available. You can then choose to install them (or not). Again the website isn't too clear (and my familiarity will Dell servers isn't too good...)

Cheers

Andy

OK. Open Manage is obviously provided on several CD's..... Using the Build & Update Utility I attempted to install the OS (W2K3SP2). It all started well, date & time, RAID, disk partitions etc and then it asked me to insert the 'Dell OpenMange Server Administrator version 5.3' CD/DVD which I obviously don't have. I looked on Dells website and I can't see a downloadable ISO of the same name :eek:(

Can someone tell me which CD images I need to download so I can do an assisted install and have all the correct drivers installed as part of the OS installation etc. Both servers only have CD drives (no DVD) so any DVD images are no good.

Thanks

Andy

In the time you've spent trying to do an assisted install, you could have done one unassisted. If you plug in the service tag on Dell's website it will tell you exactly which drivers you need and allow you to download them.

You will need to install the PERC drivers by hitting F6 when the install starts. Don't wait until the install asks for them.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I downloaded an earlier CD image - 'Installation and Server Management 5.2.0'. This has allowed me to perform an assisted install with all the correct drivers etc. I also downloaded the 'Dell CD ISO - PowerEdge Updates' image which contains the same drivers & firmware as the 5.3.0.1 DVD image (the DVD image has drivers and firmware updates for Linux & Windows whereas the earlier CD image has just Windows stuff).
Once Windows was installed I inserted the PowerEdge Updates CD and it detected the various hardware, listed the available updates and let me install them. All is working well now :eek:)

If I had not used the assisted install I would not have the diagnostics partition which I wanted just in case - I think I have been spoiled by HP's SmartStart and was just expecting the same from Dell.

I'm a happy bunny now, thanks :eek:)

Andy

You NEVER want to load an OS on some of the older Dells WITHOUT Open manage on them---you may have problems getting a disk to join an array when it fails---seen it lots of times---hot swap a drive, and it doesn't want to rebuild. Server Assistant can help there...

Burt

yeah the open manage really helps in the long run. especially with raid

I don't use Open Manage on any of my servers, it's a known security risk.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I hadn't looked at this issue in a few years and it appears that the newer OM products are now using SSL on the ports they use. So the holes I've been worried about have been closed.

The DRAC component does open an SMTP port (25) that could be used as a relay, but that's pretty easily blocked with ACLs.

Try getting a drive to rebuild when it fails, and the controller (especially in 2650's) fails the drive right away...

Burt

I haven't had that problem. I've only had 1 disk fail in a 2650, though.

Yeah, I have one customer in particular that always has disks fail in 2600's and 2650's, only a few have had Open Manage on them. Of course, he insisted to power down the server, swap the drive, and then power it back on, instead of just hot-swapping...failed the drive EVERY time! Others have failed and you could never watch the progress on the rebuild (IF the new drive even joined the container) without Open Manage. Those older 3di controllers were crap, especially if you didn't keep up the firmware updates that at one time came out every other week! That's just my take. I'm the same way with HP/Compaq and Smart Start, and keeping up with fw updates, especially on MSA1000 (CRAP!) controllers and 72GB and 146GB Ultra 320 drives. If the health light turns amber, without the HP Homepage, you can't tell if it's a fan or something else...

Burt

One thing about the Dell automated build program you should consider:

It starts with a FAT partition and later converts it to NTFS. This results in an allocation unit size of 512 bytes which maximizes your transactional overhead and negatively impacts performance. you can verify this by running chkdsk in read only mode or by analyizing the disk with the disk defragmenter applet (you don't need to actually defragment, just view the report)

It's worth the effort to build the server without it.

Agree with Lawnboy and Xmsre...
Over the years Dell's management software has caused enough major issues, I refuse to use it. Admittedly it has gotten better over the last couple of years, but much of it is not needed, too much code and files added to pristine installs. When Dell's code bloat screws up a server, they do not offer to fix it.

"You NEVER want to load an OS on some of the older Dells WITHOUT Open manage on them"
Likely true with the Perc3 /di, as it is an Adaptec product (I stopped using Adaptec based raids many years ago before the Perc3 di) but the Lsilogic based adapters have no issues without Open Manage. Most of the time I install the Lsilogic management software which has a much smaller foot print, and not had repercussions from it.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

That is true---I remember a few manufacturers making the same controller. I just like the Compaq/HP's, not to mention the IBM X-series, Alpha's, and Sun boxes---Dells just happen to fall at the bottom of my list.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back