Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdt

Status
Not open for further replies.

atbw3

Technical User
Nov 2, 2006
JO
dear colleagues:
could you pls.give me an idea about PDT , what it is for?
where we use it . where can i find any document or NTP`S about it??

thanks in advance

You don't use it. It is the Problem Determination Tool.

You won't find documentation on it either. For most people, the only interaction would be the patches. It is where you put patches in service. It is also used for the log files that are there.

If you don't know about it, you don't need to know honestly. Not trying to be a wise guy but someone messing around in PDT can do bad things to a PBX by accident.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

there are classes you can attend, after which you will have the passwords. share those and nortel will have a legal staff contact you and your employer.. for some reason they tend to be a little carefull about backdoor access to pdt.. it's a great tool but mostly for coruption but if you don;t use it very often it's not worth the 10K or so for the class. you can now load patches via 143

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I consider my self as a nortel man ,( 20 years up to now i worked with nortel, attended many training courses in maidenhead -london - regarding networking , SL-1 ,ST, NT & SN . the star systems and now Option11, 61 & 81. and alittle bit training about Callpilot, OTM. so I concern and care to know every thing about nortel product and how it works.
so again if you pls. provide me more information about PDT. and how to load patches using PDT or LD 143 as you said?

thanks in advance

atef
atbw3@yahoo.com

What release is your system? This will decide whether or not you can load patches via ld 143.

PDT is not for the average tech to use , this is for trained personel to fix problems in the system. Using PDT without training could VOID the warranty on the system if you screw it up. I've been a Nortel Tech for over 28 years and I stay from it.

Just to keep it simple for you.

PDT is the "unix" part of the nortel. You can use commands like ls, cd, pwd, del, mv etc. And some other customized scripts/programs to do man ini and a system resets. But as Johnthetelephoneguy say,s if you haven't used it by now you'll most likely won't need it either. And if you are a Nortel guy and have been for the past 20 years I find it very strange you've never heard about PDT before. I heard about it the first week I started with Nortel.

sat2phant

dear colleagues:

I have 2 systems , one of them rls 4.5 other is rls 25 .
other thing i want to say that i used befor LD 9 for INI and programming , and LD 7 for patch`s.
so is the PDT same as LD 7 & LD 9 ?

As one of your systems is Rlse 4.5, then it's normal to use LD 143 to load in the dep lists. As stated by my colleagues above, You have to have some knowledge of "pdt". A little of the wrong knowledge can be very bad!.

Rlse 25, did have service packs which were applied & placed in the patch folder via "pdt".

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

Useful Nortel forum at
If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back