Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDOXUSERS.LCK ON PDOX 9 / XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

subroman

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
US
We are on a network. Most of the users on the system are on a PC with Windows 98 or Windows 2000. I just installed Pdox on a PC with Windows XP Professional V 5.1. I mapped the network drive, set the BDE and default directory as I have with all of the other users. When the user attempts to access the database she gets a controlled by other file.net pdoxusers.lck. This occurs before the password screen comes up.

I am unable to figure out what the problem is. Is this unique to XP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg

We are running a software program on our network that uses Paradox and we get that message all the time. One of our problems is that our IT Department doesn't want to flag the main file as sharable to allow multiple users.

The other problem is (and this may be your issue) that every time someone new is setup for the Paradox program on the network, it locks them out of the program until you physically remove the *.lck and *.net files from both the server and the new workstation. Give it a try and see if that works for you.

Snowchild,

What main file are you referring to in your reply? We are having the same problem with new XP machines. When we clear the *.lck and *.net files, the lock up happens again when the XP user makes an update. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Cheeto,

I had the same problem. Every time I deleted the *.net and *.lck file the error occured again when the user attempted to sign on. I was in the process of upgrading to ver 11 so I went ahead and installed that version for the user and have not had the problem since.

I am thinking it has something with incompatibility with PDOX 9 and XP.

Safirlaila,
Our server that contains the paradox files is an Os2 server. Where would LOCAL SHARE exist--on the client XP or the server? Thanks.
Cheeto

Setting LOCAL SHARE to TRUE :
Doubleclick the BDE-administrator, Click Configuration, System, Init. You then find LOCAL SHARE. Set it to TRUE, then click the little blue arrow on the top (to save the change)

I've recently had this problem with lck/net files and new users on XP. I am of the opinion that it's an XP problem and not a Paradox problem. Having set everyone up to use Paradox on their pc's all was working well, until a different user logged on to a pc and then the problem occurred, it seems you have to re-set the data directory in the BDE config file and re-map drives for each and every single user on one pc, and I firmly believe that it's all to do with user accounts/profiles in XP. Of course I could be wrong...it has been known!

One of the first rules of designing a software upgrade is that you never lose functionality. In XP Microsoft ignores this rule with extreme prejudice.

Mac :)

"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who understand binary and those who don't"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Did you guys ever try to use BDE>Configuration>Drivers>Native>Paradox
and set the NET DIR to a network drive?

I hit the problem before when other user try to use the data located in the network directory from another computer.

subroman, you should maybe try to: 1. erase all the lockfiles in the apptbls and fwtbls and 2. everyone reboot and let the XP pc go into the appliction first and then all the other pc's

16574 - Yes, we have ours set up exactly this way. You don't need to map a drive letter, you can use //server/sharename syntax. The only time we've had a problem is if the network logon fails, but... we don't have any XP machines, only 2000, 98, and NT.

I have several clients using XP with the network control file on the server. Not a problem. You do have to make sure that all *.lck and P*.net files are cleaned up if the user tries to open Pdox without access to the net. It is also recommended that you NOT put the PDOXUSRS.NET file on the root of a network drive. I create a NETDIR directory and then point the BDE to that.

James D. Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back