Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDFWriter Printer does not appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcauliffe

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I have Windows XP Professional, with Ofice XP installed. I cannot see the PDF writer printer in the printer selection I have uninstalled and installed Acrobat 3 times now, making sure to select the Install PDFWriter option, and the PDF writer is installed. However, the printer does not appear as a selection, so I cannot use the PDFWriter. The distiller also does not appear.
I have installed Acrobat on a Windows 2000 machine with no problems. Any ideas?

I tried that, but still do not get the printer definition. Can you think of anything else?

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I am trying to install the PDFwriter to NT Terminal Server. It has always worked before but somehow it was removed and now I can not reinstall it. I have tried installing all of Acrobat 4 over the top, uninstalling/reinstalling all of Acrobat 4, reinstalling only the pdfwriter option and have tried both installing on the c and d drives. It looks like it installs but the pdfwriter just isn't there. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

DeeJay

In Version 5, you must install PDF Writer, as a Custom Install, it is not installed as part of the Typical Installation process.

Go thru the installation process, just like you normally would, but when you get to the type of installation screen, choose Custom Install, and clear all of the check boxes except for PDF Writer files.

Another word of caution, be careful with multiple uninstalls, and reinstalls on WinXP pro... dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but I had an enduser who did that, and we ended up having to restore her operating system. XP can be a bit finicky about it's profiles, even though Microsoft made the install/uninstall process look easy, every time you do it, you impact the registry.
I also had a different XP machine, that would not run without the Adobe patch for XP, so watch out for that one too!

It would be my advice to learn to use Distiller, as PDF Writer is being fazed out, and is not in Version 6.
But, none the less that's how you do it!
Good Luck.

Ran into the same problem with Windows 2003 server. My problem (may be the same as yours) had to do with the Windows security policy. There's a policy that disallows installation of kernel-mode drivers (which is what PDFWriter is) and its set to 'Not Configured' and it should be 'Disabled'. To fix this, run MMC and Add the Group Policy Object editor snap-in, and go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates and change 'Disallow installation of kernel-mode printers' to Disabled. Then re-run Acrobat setup and choose Custom setup. Only select PDFWriter and continue on with the installation. If all goes well, it should show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back