Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF's reducing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katwoman2

Technical User
Feb 21, 2005
CA
Any one having troubles when they save an illustrator file as a PDF, it is reducing... Everything in the windows to save show 100%, but after I email the PDF to some one they are saying it is reducing... It's only a slight reduction, but I am dealing with proofs of jobs and the clients need to see at 100%, some are VERY picky and refuse to understand, they want to see it exact... The same goes when we print it and fax it... I know fax machines reduce, but it seems to be the printer too, but all my settings are saying 100%...

Any help would be appreciated if anyone has come across this... Thanks

Katwoman:

1. Make sure to tell your recipients to have all scaling options un-checked when they print the pdf; Feel free to use this screenshot to send along to them for illustrative purposes:

printdialog.jpg

2. Not all printers are properly calibrated, heck most printers don't even have that option. If the recipient isn't using a high-end printer, all size bets are off;
3. Before you save the pdf, make sure that if there's anything outside the artboard, remove it or use a crop area to limit the size of the saved page (deselect everything, Object>Crop Area>Make, it will crop to the art board like that). If there are masked objects that extend outside the artboard, they count even if they are not visible...

HTH

Bert

-

Thanks for the help...

I have done some of the stuff you mention, but they are still complaining it's reducing... We are only talking most of the 1/16th of an inch, they are a little anal to get nit-picky over 1/16th of an inch... Good I sight if they can notice that and they are just sales people..

Anymore suggestions to make them happy???

Kat:

I'm pretty sure you're fighting with printer calibration or lack thereof. My suggestion would be to enlarge the art 1/16" and don't tell them about it, unless these are technical drawings that will cause somebody to fall out of a themepark ride...

HTH

Bert

Bert Philippus -

Bert,

Thanks, that is a good one.. We manufacture stamps and the way they get picky you'd think we were designing a themepark ride... It's just a stamp!!! hahahaha...

Maybe I'll try your suggestion, but it is hard too as some people it shrinks with and others it doesn't...

I guess we'll just have to continue to battle it out with the people can't understand that it is just a stamp...

Thanks again...

Kat:

It really still sounds like a printer issue... Especially since some of your recipients get the proper size and others don't. If it had anything at all to do with the *.pdf, there should be some consistency to the problem.

HTH

Bert

Bert Philippus -

Bert,

Thanks, I think so to, but some of these people would just prefer to put the blame on us, so I think we won't get anywhere with those people...

Thanks for your help though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back