Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdf Verity Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

aynat

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
CA
I am using CF Server 4.5.0.0 and have created a verity collection that i indexed to search for pdf filetypes. However, when I do the search for a word that exists in one of the files in the directory, it does not return any results. I have been able to do this for other filetypes; it's just pdf's that I am experiencing a problem with.

I'm having the same problem...anybody have an idea what's going on?

--Steve

It might depend on whether the PDF stored an "alternate" text version of the text pictured in the PDF. You see, depending on the fonts used large parts of a PDF are actually just bitmaps, which can't be interpreted except by an OCR program.

I would open up the PDFs in Acrobat Reader and try searching for the same text. If you can't find it (or even if you can, i guess) check into the tool you are using to generate the PDFs to see if you have the option of embedding alternate text. It's also an accessibility improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back