Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF to Word for Mac? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonLF06

Technical User
Oct 29, 2008
Simple problem, can't find an answer.

I have yet another client who wants business stationery including letterhead. She wants this as a Word template on her hard drive, so she can pull it up and type the day's correspondence on it. My design (in InDesign, exported as PDF) is just one font (regular and bold) and two multicoloured gradient bars. I insert this PDF into an A4 Word document, and it prints out abominably.

Did Bill Gates really never envisage this requirement? Can anyone suggest a solution, a Mac app? With a dummy-level explanation, please. Many thanks.

Sure - make a Word template.
InDesign->PDF->Word is surely the wrong approach for a letter template.
Design it from a blank document in Word analogously to your ID template.

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

Thanks for prompt reply.
But if you mean do the same design in Word and just save it as a template, I don't think I can. I've got the text boxes and text alignments pretty nearly the same, but I can't make the (very simple) graphics in Word. (There are basically 2 text boxes, each with a multicoloured gradient bar over it, to exact width of the longest text line. I don't think I can make these in Word; or insert them as PDFs and align them precisely.)
Any further suggestions?

Could you skip the PDF step, and save your text in gradient bars as a JPEG or TIFF, and embed that in the header of your Word document, then save it as a template ?

Fred Wagner

Seconded - except for the TIFF part.
Embedded TIFFs bloat Word documents. JPG should suffice.

Well, I've tried every suggestion and still can't put this together as a Word letterhead template.
As I said, I can format the text in Word, but can't add the gradient bars – they come out as black rectangles, whether I insert them as a file or as a picture.

In case it helps, this is (I hope!) a link to the pdf:

Eh Ron,
I don't know what exactly you tried, but how about this:

All I did was copy the entire head as image to the clipboard and then paste it into the header of an empty Word doc...

Problem solved?

That letterhead with the color gradient bars looks lovely in my Word 2003 for PC. Hope it looks as well on a MAC for RonLF06. Nice work, MakeItSo !

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back