Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF Render Looks Different Than Onscreen Version (SSRS 2008) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInIowa

Programmer
Dec 2, 2003
US
I am having a problem when rendering my reports to PDF. Text that will fit on one line onscreen is wrapping to a second line in the PDF version. Also, (Bold, Italic) headings appear close to okay when exported to PDF on the server from Report Manager (they're still wrapping) but my local version from Visual Studio looks just awful (not wrapping but slanted so much it's hardly readable).

I use Calibri extensively in my reports and have had it installed on the report server. Is there some extra process needed to "register" fonts with SSRS so the rendering extensions know about them? Is anyone else seeing this problem with PDF renders?

Have you tried adding the font to your project?
~Brett

--------------------------
Web/.net Programmer & DBA
Central PA

How would I do that? I tried Add > Existing Item ..., then browsed to the Windows/Fonts folder and tried to add Calibri, but it won't allow it. It just blinks when I click the Add button and the dialog box remains without adding the font.

Are you suggesting there is a way to embed fonts within the .rdl file?

What Rose said is what I've heard as well. I didn't realize SP3 corrected it though. Great!
~Brett

Central PA

Also, in terms of installing the font on your server, in some cases you need to open the font on the server (through
the font control panel, so you can see the font preview) and then
close the preview and reboot the server - apparently this is sometimes
needed to 'convince' the system to use the font.

I am using SSRS 2008. Here's what I'm seeing from Adobe Reader when I choose File > Properties ... > Fonts tab:

PDF Rendered from Visual Studio:
Calibri
Type: TrueType
Endcoding: Ansi
Actual Font: [red]Adobe Sans MM[/red] <-What's with this?
Actual Font Type: Type 1
Calibri,Bold; Calibri,BoldItalic; Calibri,Italic
Same as above

PDF Rendered from the report server:
MicrosoftSansSerif (Embedded Subset)
Type: TrueType
Encoding: Ansi

I'll see what I can do to get the server rebooted.

Calibri is not a standard font. Adobe is choking on it and trying to render it down to one of the standard Adobe recognized fonts. Odd that this is happening to you in 2008 where issue is supposed to be fixed. I saw this exact same issue, but in 2005. We installed SP3 and it corrected it.

I understand you are running SQL Server 2008. But what version of Visual Studio are you running? I've seen some client environments that are running different versions of SQL Server and Visual Studio. Depending on how the product was installed, if Reporting Services were not upgraded or reinstalled, you could be running Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2008.

Go Help --> About MS Visual Studio from within the program itself. If you're running VS 2005 that explains what's going on and I'd recommend taking SP3.

Yes, VS2005 and VS2008 create 2 different report types that are different in SQL 2005 & SQL 2008.
~Brett

Central PA

We've rebooted the server and the PDF document now looks exactly like it does onscreen. Better than I had expected, actually. I'm not sure why my local copy looks sorta funny but I really don't care as long as the server's version looks spot on. I think I'll try the same process on my laptop. It sure seemed to "register" the fonts on the server.

Thanks to you both for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back