Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF Printing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2003
US
We have a Win2000 FR3 Citrix environment (full desktops) using the UPD for all remote printing. We have a PDF printing problem that has popped up recently for remote users. Users can print standard Word and Excel files fine; however, PDF files are printing with a black background and white text. The kicker here is is that it is not all PDF files print in this manner...standard PDF forms from the Internet print fine...it looks like just "image" PDF files are printed this way. When I say image I mean PDF files that are created by our faxing program or network scanning. Choosing options in Acrobat such as "Print as Image", changing the local driver to something simplier, and/or updating the Citrix client (PN or web client) hasn't helped. Printing these files to a network printer or local printer (having the user save it to their local drive then printing) works fine. Has anyone come across something like this or can shed any light? Thanks in advance.

Acrobat and Citrix don't play well together. I'd suggest a look at Software602's Print2PDF Server Edition; we use it and really like it!

Not running W2k SP3 by any chance are you?

If so, have a look at
I contacted Microsoft and got the Hotfix Q328020_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe - hopefully they will supply the same for you; install this, reboot and it magically starts working.

We were working happily for a year on FR3 and all of a sudden it just started doing this; let me know if you can't get the hotfix and I could send you a copy of mine. Thanks.

Thank you both for your replies. lb...we are using Win2PDF to create any regular PDF's...however these PDF's are created by proprietary software by the vendors. After contacting the vendors, these PDF files are really TIFF files with a PDF wrapper. terry...we are running SP3 and already have that hotfix applied. These PDF files will print fine on a network printer; however, when they are printed remotely using the UPD driver, the image is flipped with a black background and white text.

Try printing as an image. Print -> Advanced and tick the 'Print as image' box.

Chris

IT would be the perfect job......if it didn't have users!!!

Unfortunately, using the Print As Image option is the only way we can get these items to even print. When we unselect Print as Image, a blank page with nothing prints. When we select Print as Image, the PDF prints; however, it is still reversed...black background - white text. My next step my be trying to upgrade one of our Citrix boxes from Acrobat Reader 5.x to a newer version...has anyone had any install or app problems with the newer Reader 7 offered?

We have something similiar from an app that sends graphics, seems they send a certain PCL code new printers do not like. Unfortunately the best fix we have found so far is to map the printers to HPLaserJet II. If anyone knows of how to fix at the client side that would be great, because this solution limits all other printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back