Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF Picture Boxes Show Bad Fit???

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmclaren

Technical User
Feb 5, 2004
GB
Hi there,
please help me,
Some of the pdfs I print from quark six contain picture boxes with a white gap along one edge. There is no reason for this as there is plenty of overlap on the quark file picture box. I've tried several different width frames and other options, but the gap always remains, is not on every picture, but on enough to be a real pain.
I hope somebody has an idea how to solve this,
thanks Neil

on the inside, between the picture and the frame, the picture boxes are set up as process black, so you can't change the trapping on the frame at least.

thanks

neil

I'd say there's a good overlap of about 10 mm which is constant all round the image, yet the gap only appears on one side.
thanks,
Neil

Which kind of image file is it, and what type of preview is it saved with? It seems like i read here that saving with a tif preview helped.

B

It was a CMYK eps, but I have since tried it as a tiff and the problem is still there. I have tried printing the image in separate document, in different picture boxes, but the gap is always there. Its actually on more boxes than I first thought too. Maybe this is a problem that occurs at pdf and not as a result of anything in quark, we've just upgraded to osx and quark 6, and we have had a few problems with the connectivity with our pre-press setup.Anyway, I'm totally out of ideas...

neil

The pics you placed in picture boxes didn't happen to be rotated inside the box were they??

for anyone still interested, I have found this problem to only occur when the document is shrunk in the print style. This is a real problem as half the pdfs I produce need to be created at two sizes, 100% and 74%.

Is the line there when you print the document? Or only when you view it in Acrobat?
Have you tried reducing the size of the PDF?
That is, PDF your 100% file, open in Acrobat, then print to Postscript from Acrobat at the reduced size 74%.
Is the line there when you print from Quark at the reduced size or when you print from PDF?

Marcus

When I print from quark to a laser printer at a reduced size, there is no gap. When I print to pdf or print from the pdf there is a gap. I can shrink the 100% pdf in acrobat and there is no gap, so the problem must occur when the image is resized and placed while spooling.
thanks, neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back