Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdf not opening from link

Status
Not open for further replies.

firsttube

Technical User
Apr 21, 2004
CA
I have a link on a page that points to a pdf document. I'm using target="_blank" to open the pdf in a new browser window. But when you click the link, a new browser window opens but the pdf does not load. And whe you refresh the page it still does not load.

Code:
<a href="[URL unfurl="true"]http://myserver/the[/URL] pdf document.pdf" target="_blank">Click here to open pdf</a>

why could this be happening?

Information is not Knowledge, Knowledge is not Wisdom, Wisdom is not Truth, Truth is not Beauty, Beauty is not Love, Love is not Music, Music is the best.

does the server allow this type of document?

have you got the tick in "open PDF in browser" in the internet settings within Acrobat?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

The funny thing is that other similar links to pdf's work on different pages....

Information is not Knowledge, Knowledge is not Wisdom, Wisdom is not Truth, Truth is not Beauty, Beauty is not Love, Love is not Music, Music is the best.

Also, if i take out the target parameter, it works

another thing is that it is not a webserver, it is a location on the network.

no

this linke works:
Code:
<a href="\\myserver\the pdf file.pdf">
this does not:
Code:
<a href="\\myserver\the pdf file.pdf" target="_blank">
a browser window opens with the correct path, but no pdf file. If I copy and paste the address into a new browser then the pdf file loads.

have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Acrobat Reader?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back