Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF file name problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drindle

Technical User
Jul 25, 2007
US
When I export my document to a PDF from InDesign (CS2) it is trying to give the file a name that is not the title of the document. I can't figure out where it is pulling this information from. It is not from the File Info window. I am working on a mac. Anyone have a clue?

Are you simply using File menu/PDF export presets? That's very wierd.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Sometimes that happens to me on my PC. It will pull in a name of a pdf that I just had open. No idea why, but it's not unique to Mac.

Is it possible that when you save, you click inside the directory into which you want to save your file, but click on the file name of something else in that directory? That would put the name of that file into the 'save as' box

I figured it out. If you name the PDF something other than the file name it remembers it. And following PDFs get the new name.

Assuming you're going to be exporting this file (or a duplicate of this file) many times, here's how you fix it:

Export your Indesign file as an Indesign Interchange (.inx) file. Open the Interchange file and resave it as the original file name (it will open as an untitled file). Now when you export the file the file's name will appear.

I found this thread searching for a solution to my own problem, which is this: I just reinstalled CS2, and whenever I go to export a PDF (from Illustrator and Indesign) I get additional information in my file name. Basically, whatever is in the header. So for file "FileName.indd" the header also shows "@ 103%" (because that's the current scaling," and when I g to export, the PDF name comes up as "FileName.indd @ 103%.pdf" and it's really annoying having to delete the extra characters (especially in Illustrator, when the name usually includes a "(CMYK Preview)".

Any help? Am I not seeing a preference that deletes that from the header?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back