Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDC needs to reboot to allow other servers to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisperkins

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2004
CH
Please help,

I have an PDC NT4 SP6 server that seems to run perfectly. During the last 2 weeks though I have added a Windows 2000 member server and a Windows 2003 member server to my domain.

Every 5 days or so (or when either of the member servers reboots) They are unable to log on the domain - I get the message that the PDC is unavailable. The only way to ressolve this is to reboot the PBC and then the 2 member servers can connect to the domain.

Any ideas????

Chris

have you tried taking the servers out of the domain and putting them back in?

Hi Smorgan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried this & normally after a few tries to connect to the domain it works. Today though my w2k membser server lost domain connectivity (ie would not run login scripts & allow users access) so I rebooted the PDC and the w2k server would still not connect. So I moved it to a workgroup & then tried to connect back again to the domain & it will not let me join. I have synchronised the PDC with all other DC's, stopped & restarted the netlogon service on the pdc, but still no joy. I am just wondering if there is a problem with the SAM database? Are there any tools to check this?
The DNS is all set up correctly & I can ping the PDC both with IP address & computername.

Any further thoughts?

Chris

I think your problem is that the PDC is NT4.0. When we added a W2K3 server we had to make it the DC and have the NT4.0 server as BDC. My understanding is that the W2K or W2K3 server must be the DC.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back