Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDC Can't Log Onto Local Domain, Only Root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digum2K

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
1.PDC can't log onto it's local school domain, only the Win2K Root Domain. It gives me can't log on check your password blah, blah, blah, for any account.
2.I have changed accounts, added new accounts from the root to the local school domain user database, but i am still "locked out".
3.The entire network has been experiencing "breaks" in replication due to hardware failure.
4.Any ideas on how to get "unlocked" again, so i can log onto the domain??

Digum, CCNA, A+, Net+, Server+, APS

If you're trying to log on "locally" on a W2K DC, you can't. There is no local on a DC, local is the Domain itself. If that's not what you're attempting, please elaborate a bit. Thanks.

I meant logging onto the local domain, not the computer. The account database is locked out or something for all accounts

sorry to belabor this, but I'm still a bit foggy. Let me make sure I'm understanding your situation. You have a W2K DC that has access to multiple domains, and you can't log on to one of them? How are you currently logging in to make these user changes?

You might want to check your nics for bad broadcasts. I know this sounds funky, but I had one bad nic on a server, and it kept sending out bad broadcasts. It got so bad the users coulnd't even locate the domain. I disabled the nic and users could log on with no problem. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
Cicero (106-43 B.C.); Roman orator, philosopher.

The server has 2 Nics on it, I disabled one, tried the other, vice versa. We have something like 12 separate domains, including the root. We cannot log onto eddy.dom, which is the local school domain, but can logon to the root from the school server.

Here's further info,

The only account I can log with is the default Administrator account. Weird?? Seems like the account database is jacked! Since we are running multiple domains, is the account information stored centrally on the root server only?? Does anyone know how to recover accounts??

account information is domain-specific, so the information would reside on the DC's for the school domain. Do you see anything in the event logs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back