Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdc - bdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hello all,
could someone guide me on the topic. any helpsite or website wherein more details on the said are available
thanks

What exactly did you want to know?

A PDC (Primary Domain Controller) is the authorative server which maintains a read/write copy of all Computer and User Accounts. It authenticate's logon's and access for any user in the domain, to any workstation/server in the domain.

A BDC (Backup Domain Controller) is almost the same as a PDC, only it has a read-only copy of all Accounts in said domain. It also does authentication of accounts.

It's always good practice to have at least one BDC per domain - in case your PDC goes tits-up, you have a BDC there you can promote to a PDC, until you get your broken PDC running again. In this way you don't lose any ability to logon to the domain while the server is down, and if you have to reinstall from scratch, you don't lose any of your accounts. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

thanks dhawthorn
But i need more info. Any idea of a website / help site where i can got more info with regards to converting BDC to PDC, etc

Actually you don’t convert a Domain controller, you promote or demote it. You can do it by going to the Server Manager and selecting/highlighting the BDC from your server list and then choosing Computer – Promote to Primary Domain controller from the menu bar. The whole process takes less then five minutes. It’s a good idea to synchronize the domain before you do it. You can go to MS Technet site for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back