Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCs not appearing in Network Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXO

MIS
Jul 31, 2003
CA
I want to add new PC's to our network.
The PCs can join the domain and appear in active directory searches, but do not appear in Network neighbor hood and can not be managed remotely.
This a very small network with only the two server acting as DC and application servers, with SQL server 2000 running on both as well as regular server utilities

I have WINS on both the servers (PDC and BDC)
The PDC and BDC WINS servers are replication partners
The PDC and BDC are also DNS servers.
PDC is master browser
All PCs are in DNS.
All PCs have static IP addresses
All PCs point to the local DNS servers
The WINS on the PCs is set to Netbios over TCPIP enabled
Not all PC's point to WINS
I can Ping all PCs and all PC can Ping servers
Licensed for 15 PCs and only have 10

Still can not get them to show up in Network Places and
can not manage them

Check your NetBio's settings, see if is enabled over TCP/IP if not cahnge that. It is on the Wins tab.

Check your Services under Admin. Tools and look for a service called TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, and make sure it is set to Automatic and enabled. If it is, restart the service.

If that does not work, try searching for the server's using the "search for computers" option in the Windows environment. Once found, access a share, close everything and start Network Neighbourhood.

If that does not work, then there might be a Group Policy option to "hide" Network Neighbourhood icons. Not too familiar with Group Policy, so you'll have to check that.

You must point all the pcs to the same primary wins server, and point all the pcs to the same secondary server. Only one wins server is active at a time. The other one is used when the first one is unavailable.

Also verify that the computer accounts are added to the PDC and/or the OU.

aSugarBe@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back