Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC's lose connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticangel

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
CA
I have inherited a small wireless network with 4 PC's running W2000 Pro using Netblaster II PCI cards, a Roamabout access point and a cable router for Internet connection. The PC's do not move. One of the PC's recently lost all connection to the network and sees none of the other workstations. When I used the netblaster utility, the card was only receiving a 13% signal. Another PC in the same office (4 feet away) was getting about a 56% signal and working fine. There is nothing between them. After reinstalling the drivers and eliminating a number of other possibilities (all PC's are configured exactly the same) I finally just exchanged the two PC's to elliminate the location factor and possibly point to a bad card. Both workstations suddenly worked fine, each gettings about a 50% signal. 20 minutes later, the original non-communicating PC stopped communicating again. An hour later, the other PC stopped communicating too. Any ideas?

by any chance do you have the same ip addresses set in the pc's? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

No, The PC's pick up their IP address from the ISP via DHCP. When both workstations were working, they each had received a valid and different IP.

Do you have the latest firmware installed in the access point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back