Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCMCIA Firewire card wont power device

Status
Not open for further replies.

westredd

MIS
Jul 22, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have a laptop with a PCMCIA firewire card. It works fine. It has 6 pin sockets

When I plug in my ext sound box my pcmcia firewire card doesnt power the box. If I do the same thing on my desktop machine, it powers the box fine. Any ideas why that would be? I tried another pcmcia firewire card and it is the same.

thanks

I suppose you could check your power settings on your system. It's also possible that the reason is it's a laptop, and it may not necessarily provide power through the firewire port (via PCMCIA), the same as a desktop PC would through an onboard firewire or PCI card firewire connection.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

yeah, have checked the power settings, cant find anything that can make a difference.

I agree, may be just the laptop cant deliver that power as a desktop would. Maybe lenovos are like that.

ta

Mike

Could just be the pcmcia card can't provide power. What does it say in the specs?

The answer is "42"

I'll back the power issue up.

I find that PCMCIA USB card can only power all but the smallest 2.5 drives, 3.5 and you'll need power.

Many cards will tell you this in the specs.

As a rule, if using a PC card, you'll need external power for all but the smallest low power devices.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back