Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcmcia drivers required 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

razled

Technical User
Mar 10, 2002
GB
Help I need a pcmcia driver for a DELL extcd-1 laptop dos driver any ideas.
Or how to get it to work with the one that came with the thing !
The programs are atak365.sys and atamngr.sys and the inf file is ajb120.inf

the actual cd is a panosonic, repackaged as a dell !

The EXE prog is called instdos, which partly works as it powers the pcmcia drive up but dos cannot see the D: ! etc have tried the mcdec etc to no avail

PLEASE HELP stuck with blank laptop :(

Hi-

If it's a Dell, can't you get the driver from their site? I'm not sure what you're asking for? This is an external hard drive that's powered through the PCMCIA card slot?

Mom

Yes, this is an external cd rom drive, I have tried dell, but to no avail, I have tried panasonic to no avail, I need a dos driver for the pcmcia card so I can use the cd rom to re install an O.S

Thanks will try and download later :) there is a lot of possibillites

REM ******* KXLC005 *******
[COMMON]
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\ATAK365.SYS /port=190 /mem=CE00
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\KMEKATCD.SYS /d:pCMCIACD
DEVICE=C:\CDRMK20\ATAK365.SYS /port=190 /mem=CE00
DEVICE=C:\CDRMK20\KMEKATCD.SYS /d:pCMCIACD
thats the config.sys file says any ideas, couldnt find any for my model
which is p8x cts5100 digital hinote.
with the pcmcia cd rom card and cd, whic is dell extcdr-1
any more suggestions please

try this driver. there is a readme file that might be helpful.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/CDROM/KXL807A.EXE

comes up with mscdex.ex not found copy file to c:\dos which i did, and reinstalled, still no joy !
also after reboot it comes up with rem c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:pcmciacd
also the atapi manager not installed, driver unloaded.

any further suggestions ?

Here's what I did in a similar situation:

To get a Panasonic KXL-807A PCMCIA CD drive to function with a Toshiba Portege 3010CT
In order to boot to floppy and reinstall Win98 from CD

I created a Win98 Boot CD (from the image at bootdisk.com)
I copied the ATAS365.SYS and the KMESATCD.SYS
from the KXL807A.EXE file directly to the A:\ on the boot floppy

I replaced this line in AUTOEXEC.BAT
LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%

with this
LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:pcmciacd /L:%CDROM%

I replaced these lines in CONFIG.SYS
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

with this
DEVICE=ATAS365.SYS /port=190 /mem=CE00
DEVICE=KMESATCD.SYS /d:pCMCIACD

I could then boot to the floppy, the CD drive loaded to E:
I copied the contents of the E:\WIN98 to C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
so when it asks for the Win98 CD halfway through the reinstall
I could point it to that location to load drivers.

Hope this helps, I just joined the site to post this - the search engine here seems a bit odd. Take care all.

I have a ThinkPad 560E, and have the same issues. I would imagine with so many 'used' laptops coming into the market, we will continue to see more of this.

I tried every suggestion mentioned above, plus everything on the IBM site. I tried Buddersworth's method and I still get errors. I know the Laptop & the cdrom work, but I cannot get them working together well enough to get an O/S installed. :(

Somewhere there needs to be an easier way of doing this :(

Any further suggestions ?

Hi Kobie,
I actually got round the problem by Buying a copy of windows 95 on floppy disk I paid £10 for the 22 disks, it took about 30 mins to install the OS then I installed the CD driver that came with the cd rom Then I upgraded to windows 98Se via the cd rom.
I could sell you a copy of Windows 95 (unregisterd) as Like I say I upgraded striaght to 98SE and registerd that.

How about using an old laplink or equivalent to put cab files on harddrive?

I 'could' get/buy Win95 on Discs, but I was hoping for a 'faster' solution. Seems ironic I 'own' Win95/Win98 and have a seemingly working laptop, just cannot get the o/s installed *sigh*.

I don't have a laplink, but I might be able to find someone with a zip drive to copy cab files to the laptop.

What's in the back of my mind is how on EARTH are folks who aren't computer saavy or have access to other methods going to get this situation cleared up ? Some resolution is needed for those folks. I know at one PC show they sold a whole company's 'old' laptops (more than 200) with no o/s installed but an otherwise perfectly working machine.

I just went through process using laplink. I did have the advantage of already having a laplink cable. I'm pretty sure google searches showed several sites with cable pinouts for either parallel or serial approaches.

First site below has some instructions (which I wish I'd noticed before I started) for using laplink
second is a dos support site that has some useful downloads.

(I did no checking on this since I already had a parallel laplink cable, but it might be a simple process to find a null modem converter for a serial cable at a computer store.)

I could never get Laplink to work I have Laplink 3 through to laplink 7 I think in the end with 4 different leads 2 made up from several web sites, Just didnt seem to want to Know !.
The other solution which I did for a friend who had a 2.5" to IDE connector was to connect it to my desk top onto IDE 2 and copied cab files over that way. Unfortunatly the local shops havnt got any cables in stock at mo !
They are only £3.54or so +vat so it would have been cheaper and quicker that floppies.
Shop in question is @ under cables and accosories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back