Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCMCIA Card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpme2pc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2005
US
Let me start by saying I feel like and idiot for having to ask this. I have a client with an old dell laptop circa 98-2k. The os is 2k but I don't know if it was an upgrade or not but that isn't important, it is not new. On top of that, there are no USB slots. I am trying to install a wireless card but for some reason it doesn't fit. There's a Zonet modem in one of the slots that works fine. Did I miss something over the years? I've tried a Linksys, a Dlink and a Belkin card but they go in to the same point, about 1/4-1/2 inch away from being in the whole way. It looks like there is a difference in the grooves on the cards. I don't know what to do next and don't know what my options are. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you've got a type 1 slot in the PC and you're trying to fit a type 2 card into it. Look for an older style card is all I can suggest...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks, I knew I felt like an idiot for a reason. I didn't even think about that. Unfortunatly since it's a 16 bit slot, I am out of luck for either a wireless or usb card. Thanks for the help.

Don't have much to suggest unfortunately...

I occasionally have the need to network an old laptop very similar to what you're describing, i.e. old PCMCIA slot, no USB etc. I got hold of a parallel port network adaptor some long time ago, which has proved invaluable for just such occasions. However, I don't see them advertised anywhere now, and nothing on E-bay at this moment.

Mine is a D-Link DE-620TP and gives a 10Mbps RJ-45 connection. Genius made one as well I believe...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks guys. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a parallel adapter. I wouldn't have thought it was even possible. As far as a 16 bit wireless, I wouldn't mind if it was 802.11b, but I couldn't find one at any of my usual sources. My google searches are uneventful as well, not specific enough. If you have seen one recently and wuldn't mid sharing, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

I believe the Genius model number for the parallel port network adaptor is NE30002W which will have a similar spec to the D-Link model I'm using. But regret I cannot find anyone selling this model...

Good hunting.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back