Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCL3 Compatibility 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoltechMark

Programmer
Dec 3, 2008
US
I have developed print capability on a product at work and it seems to work well with many printers. I have developed it using PCL5 and it seems to work well on PCL5 printers, but we have recently tested it on some PCL3 inkjets and it does not print.

We generate a chunk of ascii text and sandwich it between a header and a footer that contains some PCL and PJL commands. (See below)

ESC%-12345X
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL\x0D\x0A
ESC\x45

ASCII text

\x0C
ESC\x45
ESC%-12345X

As I said, this seems to work fine on PCL5 printers, but does not work on PCL3 printers.

Any ideas?

Are you sure that the printer IS PCL3 and NOT PCL3GUI? The latter being a windows only variant.

What happens of you remove the PJL wrapper so the file begins and ends with <esc>E

Jim Asman

If I remove the PJL wrapper, it still does not print. However, it is a PCL3 GUI. So, it makes sense that it does not work.

I assume that the PCL3 GUI more or less uses an image generated by the PC that is then sent to the printer, somewhat similar to CPL XL?

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back