Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCL XL Error on HP Laserjet M3035

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffmaster

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2007
GB
Hi there, I am starting to get really annoyed. My new HP Laserjet M3035xs has been performing well, but have discovered a problem. When I print 1 copy in word or excel it is fine prints perfectly. But when I select more than 1 copy (e.g 2), the 1st copy prints out fine but the 2nd copy outputs on paper:

PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNAL
Error: IllegalOperationSequence
Operator: EndChar
Position: 22

I have tried shutting off the printer and also printing on another PC, same problem. Whether I want 2 or 200 copies first page is fine, the rest is the PCL XL error. I have installed the Basic PCL5 driver, but this can only be used as a temporary measure.

Looking for any ideas.

Regards
griffmaster

Please allow me to copy/paste some notes about PCL XL :

Overview of the Enhanced (PCL XL) or PCL6 Driver
PCL 6 is the next evolution of the Hewlett-Packard LaserJet PCL language and related technologies. PCL 6 has three key components, one component, referred to as PCL 6 Enhanced has been optimized for printing from graphical user interfaces (GUIs) like Microsoft (R) Windows and OS/2. The second component referred to as PCL 6 Standard provides complete backward compatibility with past HP LaserJet printers. The third component is referred to as Font Synthesis.

The Enhanced PCL XL or PCL6 driver that is included with the HP LaserJet printers provides enhanced WYSIWYG and enhanced performance with application support over the Standard (PCL5e) driver. PCL XL is a new page description language by HP that is part of PCL6 and is closer to GDI, which many applications use. Less translation takes place by the driver, which means increased WYSIWYG capabilities and better performance with applications that support escapes implemented by the Enhanced driver. The output from the Enhanced (PCL XL) driver may not be the same as the output from the Standard driver. If the output is not as expected, choose the Standard (PCL5e) driver instead.

Now..
Is there any special reason why you would have to use a PCL 6 driver ?
Is it any specific document(s) that causes the issue or will any basic document reproduce the issue ?
Does any of the documents use special templates, headers or scripts/macros ?
Did you try with HP's latest Universal Print Driver (UPD) ?

Good luck [wink]

The PCL5 driver that has been included in the CD is not the best. When I print using the PCL5 driver I have click through many other windows and confirm I want to use the PCL5 driver etc. This will annoy the me and the other users.

I am just confused why PCL6 allows me single copies only and not multiple copies.

No tried universal print driver by HP but will give it a go.

Griffmaster

I had this problem but with an HP4345mfp. I researched it and found that it is caused by a corrupted driver. Typically if you get a PCL X error it has to do with the driver. The Universal Driver should do the trick but make sure you use the PCL 6 Universal Driver as not using can cause certain functions not to work. The Universal Print Driver is only for the function of printing if you require special documents it may not do those properly. I did contact HP on the issue and found out that this error occurs on all HP 4300 models.
Good luck and hope my info helps.

When downloading drivers, turn off any firewalls, and blockers or A/V programs. Some DLL's of the file may be conflicting with the OS, resulting in corruption.
Review the bottom of hpwiz's reply.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I tried

File > Print... > Properties > Advanced
Disable "Advanced Printing Features"
Disable "Print Optimizations"

as the HP thread suggested but still the same error. I will try JBeckman's suggestion (PCL 6 Universal Driver) and let you know how it goes. Surprised that HP can get away with releasing poor drivers especially when the Printer costs over £1000 ($2000).

Griffmaster

I think I have a solution. I went onto the HP Support site and was about to download the "HP Universal Print Driver for Windows - PCL6" and then I looked at the details for the
HP LaserJet M3027/M3035 MFP PCL6 driver (61.071.661.41) dated 25 Jul 2007. I took a leap of faith that maybe HP finally fixed the issues and downloaded it.

Extracted the file, no setup file, so I manually installed the driver (Printers and Faxes > Properties > Advanced > New Driver > Have Disk) and selected hpc3035c.inf from the extracted location, took a few mins to install.

I then tried to print multiple copies of word and excel documents, and amazingly they worked!

In my opinion, the printer does not seem to print as fast but atleast it prints multiple copies. The update has changed the Printer Preferences, so had updating Printing Shortcuts. Will give the updated PCL 6 driver a test over the next few days and hopefully won't have any problems.

Griffmaster

I found that the issue is the .net framework ver3sp1. I had the same problem on multiple printers where the first copy would print just fine but multiple copies always came back with the PCL XL error code. I uninstalled net framework 3 sp1 and the problem was solved. It also fixed a problem when a pdf file was printed to with a pcl6 driver a 49.xxx error code came up on the lcd screen of the printer (HP 9050 and 5550). Also,the problem does not go away with net framework 3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back