Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCL Internal Fonts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mak2310

Technical User
Apr 9, 2018
IN
I have access to HP LaserJet 1022n and HP LaserJet 5035. Have installed PCL5 Drivers for these printers on Win10, 64Bit PC.
Want to know List of Internal Fonts installed on these printers...HP Manual indicates 26 Internal fonts for 1022....
I read somewhere that DMInfo command should work.
Please help me to print list of Internal Fonts (and Typefaces) so that I Can specify fonts using HPGL2 (AD Alternate font OR SD Standard Fonts and then selecting SA or SS Command to print Labels).

Thanks for your help in advance.

(I also checked PCL Paraphernalia Utility => Font sample, but it lists languages PCL or PCLXL for Font selection).

The situation regarding the (quite old)- LaserJet 1022n is a bit confusing; according to the User Guide manual:

Capture_en9u3n.png

The description does indicate that 26 PCL fonts are available, but it also states that the printer uses a host-based driver.

With host-based systems, all of the rendering is done on the host workstation, which just sends a series of encapsulated, compressed, raster images to the printer, which just unencapsulates and uncompresses these, and prints the resultant dots.
With the majority of host-based printers, the device does not contain any printer-resident fonts (or perhaps just has one very basic one for diagnostic purposes?).

Of course, it may just be the case that the printer does also support PCL5, but that HP don't supply a PCL5 driver - I don't know.

Being such a very basic printer (with only 8 MB of memory), it is quite likely that it won't support DMINFO commands (part of the PML language).

The LaserJet M5035 definitely supports PCL 5 (and PCL 6 (PCL XL) and PostScript, and has a basic memory of 256 MB.

I'm not sure what you are asking with your statement "... checked PCL Paraphernalia Utility => Font sample, but it lists languages PCL or PCLXL for Font selection ...".
In that context, PCL implies PCL 5 and PCLXL implies PCL 6 (PCL XL) - so you would want the PCL option.

The Font Sample tool will generate a job showing what the printer makes of the (standard) font selection sequence associated with the selected (well-known) printer-resident font (from a pre-defined list of those which may be standard on LaserJet devices); it does not generate a list of the available fonts on the target device.

The Status Readback tool can query the device and (with some, but not all, devices) return a list of available fonts, using the PCL Fonts or Fonts Extended items - but this is probably unlikely to be supported by the low-specification LaserJet 1022n.

Thanks a lot DanDadUK for your elaborate response...
Agree, I pulled out HP1022n from archives just to be able to use PCL5 Drivers (to use HPGL2 language).
However, trying various Font Family (Kind 1 of AD or SD Command) and Typefaces (Kind 7 of AD or SD Command) I end up getting same letters...This is perhaps due to fact that it has limited memory (and hence limited Internal fonts)...Though Manual indicates 26 fonts,all may not be available.

Hope to be better with HP5035...

Sorry for not expressing query on PCL Paraphernalia clearly. Have attached screenshot of with two rectangles...Red one indicates available dropdown menu for language...Have selected PCL and Blue rectangle shows Escape sequences for Font selection...but I am looking for HPGL2 sequence to be used in AD or SD command (Kind 1)...

Alternately, I think, will try [ESC]%0A to switch to PCL and use these and switch back to HPGL2 and send LB command...
Similarly will try ReadStatus on HP 5035...Have said "Will" try when I go to office on Monday. Thanks for your help...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0c229f94-a4a3-4ec8-b5a0-2385095802ca&file=PCL_Font.jpg
As the name implies, the PCL Paraphernalia tools are primarily concerned with PCL languages (PCL5 (PCL) or PCL6 (PCL XL)).

The tools don't generate HP-GL/2 commands, but the Printer Languages tool provides a brief list of (known) HP-GL/2 names.

As regards the parameters for the HP-GL/2 AD or SD commands; these are in terms of 'Kind' values, where
[ul]
[li]Kind1: Symbol Set[/li]
[li]Kind2: Font spacing[/li]
[li]Kind3: Pitch[/li]
[li]Kind4: Height[/li]
[li]Kind5: Posture[/li]
[li]Kind6: Stroke Weight[/li]
[li]Kind7: Typeface[/li]
[/ul]

These values appear to have the same meaning in HP-GL/2 as in PCL, with the following minor exceptions:

[ul]
[li]The Symbol Set value in PCL uses the alphanumeric (e.g 0N) designation, whilst HP-GL/2 uses the equivalent numeric Kind1 representation (e.g. 14); there is a mathematical relationship between the two representations.[/li]
[li]The HP-GL/2 Posture value (Kind5) appears to be a subset of the PCL Style value.[/li]
[/ul]

So with the PCL font selection sequence:

<Esc>(0U<Esc>(s0p8h0s0b4124T

Kind1 = "0U" = 21
Kind2 = 0 (the 'p' parameter) indicating fixed-pitch
Kind3 = 8 (the 'h' parameter) indicating a pitch of 8 characters-per-inch
Kind4 = not present (height (the 'v' parameter) is not relevant for s fixed-pitch scalable font)
Kind5 = 0 (the 's' parameter) indicating upright posture (and structure=solid & width=normal)
Kind6 = 0 (the 'b' parameter) indicating stroke-weight = medium
Kind7 = 4124 (the 'T' parameter) indicating the standard typeface identifier for the Naskh typeface.

I think that it is extremely unlikely that the LaserJet 1022n printer supports the Naskh font.

It may or may not support the HP-GL/2 'subset' of the PCL5 language.

If it does have 26 internal fonts, I'd guess that these are mainly bitmap fonts, with perhaps a few of the (old) Intellifont format scalable ones - perhaps a bit similar to the fonts available with the LaserJet III or LaserJet IV devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back