Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI slots not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

meckeard

Programmer
Aug 17, 2001
US
Hi everyone.

It seems none of my pci slots are working on my MSI K8N PC.

2 nights ago I lost internet access. After switching out the card, I had a little success but then lost video. I swapped that too but now it appears that none of the pci slots are working.

The PC boots up, the heat sink fan runs and the HDD appears to be running too but no video.

One thing worth mentioning is the southbridge fan isn't running. A google search indicated that this controls the pci slots and I wonder is this is related to my pci slot issue.

A thread I found on this site suggested the mobo was bad and the poster replaced it and all was well. Just wanted to get some input before I made that assumption and replaced it.

Thanks,
Mark

A thread I found on this site suggested the mobo was bad and the poster replaced it and all was well
I am afraid that is what it looks like to me as well...

as it sounds like the SouthBridge went South and stayed there... probably over heated and died on you.

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

check the power-supply first for all the voltages then if it is working right....
you have a dead motherboard

PSU...always the first suspect. Try a known-good one.

Tony

Users helping Users...

All,

No luck on the PSU. I have a spare that fires up, just like the CPU fan and HDD but no video. Nothing works in the PCI slots at all even though the hardware work in other PC's.

At this point I have to assume the mobo needs to be replaced.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back