Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Simple Communication Controller error trying to load Modem Driver 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

acsol

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
AU
Recently upgraded a Piii 450 to Windows XP Pro. The Modem is not detected. When trying to load Modem drivers manually or attempting to force windows to search for a modem I get a message "Found New Hardware PCI Simple Communications Controller" it fails to find a driver and still doesn't detect the modem. I have installed the modem drivers manually but when the modem is queried it fails. I have uninstalled the modem drivers and the PCI Simple communications controller through device manager both normally and in safe mode. Still no luck.

One comment for BobbytheBean - How is one supposed to use "Windows Update" when one's modem doesn't work and therefore cannot go online? (I'm using mom's computer in hopes of finding a fix for mine *Note: so far no such luck, thankx for nothing microsoft*)

A note on removing modem drivers: I was working on a friend's computer; he installed the wrong drivers. Removing the modem in the Device Manager (Win98se) was not good enough. You had to go to Control Panel, Add-Remove Programs to remove the drivers. Be sure to check that out in case yours is similar. His was an HSP Micro Modem (a popular PCI winmodem).

I have a PCI Simple Communications Modem. I uninstalled the the driver becuase there was a problem with the modem and that's what it suggested to do. I dont have the drivers to reload it. Where can i find the drivers online..

Having a helluva time myself - Recently purchased components for PC upgrade including:
P4B533-E motherboard from Asus ("E" model has onboard RAID)
1gb memory
2.53 processor
2 WD 40gb drives
and loaded WinXP Pro

Am receiving this same error even tho I don't even HAVE a modem - and I did disable it in the BIOS. Have tried removing it and every time machine reboots, it redetects this supposed device. Are you guys SURE this is a modem?

OK - sorry I didn't reply - simple problem - the motherboard. ASUS tech support insists it's not their product - it's memory, sound card (not plugged in) etc etc ... however, I had the vendor ship me another one, replaced it and with all the same hardware as the first, installed XP in about 3 minutes.

ASUS - great board, shitty tech support. Just my opinion.

Good luck all

I have an older HP and have a Rockwell HCF 56k modem riptide card and found drivers that said for XP but I could not get them to work. I found W2K drivers doing search on HP's site downloaded them, and then installed the drivers and then installed "PCI simple communications device" XP found drivers aand installed. Just ignored when it said drivers not signed and worked first time......no problems. File was called "ripnaw2k.zip" I tried drivers from conxenant site for generic modem and couldnt get them to work. Hope this helps.

I had the same issue with Windows XP Home regarding the PCI Simple Comm. message and the installation of the modem. I tried several of the listed suggestions. I ended up uninstalling the modem and installed SP1 (Service Pack 1). When the PC rebooted, everything seemed to work fine. It asked for the location of the PCI Simple Commuications driver (which in my case was WinComm II) and the modem (Intel 536EP). I don't know if you have SP1, but it did the trick on mine. Good luck.

I am designing a soyo Dragon Plus system and received that
same message. I couldn't get my data-voice-fax modem to
function at all. Thinking that the modem was faulty, I
removed the modem and replaced it with a standard data
modem and XP founmd it on boot and it worked fine.
However, I still received that message, "PCI simple
communications controller not found." I disabled it in the
device manager. I get a yellow flag in the device manager
but with an X thru it. It seems to have no effect what-so-
ever. My modem works fine even though the PCI-SCC is
disabled.

hello guys

I have read your responses i recently had the same problem my pc was working fine then all of a sudden this message appeared ' found new hardware wizard' this provides help with installing pci simple communication controller. I ran a non-destructive recovery and this did not help. so I took my pc back to the shop and the man did somthing i saw him access connection wizard and connected to the internet to rectify the problem. it is now working. He said that i may have virus and should do a recovery to wipe off hard drive. IS THIS NECESSARY and do i really have a virus?? i backed-up my doctuments onto CD he said that if i reinstall them on the pc i will transfering the virus to the pc is this true???

jdiet (mis), you mentioned service pack, what do you mean? can anyone anwser my thread in simple english please. no offence jdiet.

You need to go out to Microsoft's website and download the latest service pack, which is SP1a. The website is:
Microsoft has updates to fix known issues, etc., so they put out Service Packs. This is the latest one. You probably need to find someone that has high speed internet access and burn it to a CD for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response. As the shop has reciftied the problem as far as the pci simple commun controller problem is concerned. would i still need to use the disk as i do not know if i have a virus? or are you telling me this for future reference?

Windows Updates should be done monthly if not weekly from the Microsoft website. They address security issues, driver issues, etc., for Windows, Office Products, etc. Also, keep the Norton Antivirus definitions updated on a daily basis.

I would first update the antivirus software/definitions and run a scan to see if you have a virus, then add Service Pack 1. You probably need to burn the new antivirus definitions on a CD since you don't have access to the internet because of the modem. After that you should be able to get to your modem. Then go to Microsoft's website and do a windows update. You can do that by going to your Internet Explorer, Tools, and Windows Update. Hope this works. I know I messed around with an XP PC for a long time and then did an update with Service Pack 1 and when I rebooted it found all the hardware. I hope this is the case for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back