Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI-Express 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the HP site, that system's MB does not have a slot(AGP or PCI-E) for installing a video card.

There are still PCI video cards available, they are not the best but useful if your onboard video fails and you don't want to upgrade.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

You would be suprised at exactly how many customers I have this conversation with!

Customer: Shiney HP Pavillian won't play games!

Me: Well it won't sir because all it has is rubbish onboard Intel Extreme graphics and please don't be fooled by their technical name sir, they are less than useless when it comes to gaming although admittedly fine for everyday use.

Customer: OK! stick me in a graphics card then.

Me: well I would love to take you money sir but HP has not provided a dedicated AGP or PCIe slot with your machine so that means the best graphics card you can have is an Nvidia FX5500LE in PCI interface if, and I say if, I can locate one and even when fitted they are less than adequate depending on the intended game.
Also sir, the power supply HP install is borderline for anything more powerful.

Customer: Ahhhhhh!! so what do you recommend?

Me: well if you are moderately serious about gaming we can swap out that motherboard for a cheap but more versatile Asrock ConRoe865GV which does have an 8X AGP slot and so will give you options for graphics cards upto the excellent Nvidia 7800GS AGP, mind you, we will have to replace that PSU for a quality 450watt unit.

I'm fairly sure this HP is using a 775 Intel socket and DDR3200 memory, according to the specs it does.

Another option would be to go for a Mini ATX motherboard with PCIe but that would likely mean changing the memory out for DDRII.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

i mean i only play cs 1.6 and a bit of warcraft and i want a decent average of 80-100 fps on CS1.6 which isnt really hard to get considering the crappy video card that came with this computer already gives me 60 i dont think it'll get any worst

If you're getting at least 60 fps at all times on both games with no studdering at your desired game settings(resolution, AA, AF, etc.), then there's no need to upgrade, since you will not see the difference between that frame rate and 80-100 fps.

no but 60 is the highest i can go and I drop to the 20's alot so want something that can give me around 80-100 and if it does drop it'll only drop to 60 or maybe even 50

I have an Advent T9400 p.c 3.4Ghz pentium 4 HT, 1Gb DDR ram, and a Geforce FX5700LE 256mb graphics card. I really need to upgrade the graphics card but dont no how to go about doing it, or what card to buy (looking for something roughly 200€) or what specs my computer has in depth, like pci express etc, power, fans etc, can anyone help?

Advent T9400 is circa late 2004? so almost definately AGP not PCIe (the current 5700LE would also back this up)
The best NEW AGP card would therefore be an Nvidia 7800GS but also look out for second user Nvidia 6800GT's and ultra's
ATI X800 series are very good, look out for X800XT X800XTPE X850XT and X850XTPE (probably second user) be aware these slightly older ATI cards (unlike the Nvidia models) don't have pixel shader 3.0 .

ATI's X1600Pro and X1650Pro might also be worth considering.

One last note* you might have to upgrade your power supply to cope if you go high end (450watt plus quality unit)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back