Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Communications Device Found 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaci

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2000
US
Visit site
I'm getting a PCI Communications Device found and don't know where the driver is. Trying to install a USR 56k Voice/Fax internal modem. The modem is not being found in autodetect (Win98) mode. Any advice?
Thanks

Goonrider237

Try this:

Firstly, backup your registry. Then got to START, RUN, and type REGEDIT. Double click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, below it you will see a subsection called Enum, double click it to expand it. Do the same to the one marked PCI, you should now see some keys marked VEN_*******, expand each one and below it you will see another key marked BUS_******. Expand that key and each one will show you a name and data in the right-hand pane. One of those is your modem and the name will be clear. Now delete the key marked BUS_*******. Reboot, and Win98 will install your modem

Let me know how you get on please.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum!

i think i found it but i'm not completely sure. i have an ADSL internal modem and i dont want to mess anything up.

To install a winmodem and get fix the pci comm device message :
You must have the drivers
unistall any unknown devices in control panel, question marks
unistall any modems that don't work
restart your computer
when pci device comes up choose select item from list
select modem, then choose have disk
browse to your modem drivers
your modem should appear in list
choose it
restart

ok so my last post did not say in control panel go to system