Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Communications Device Found 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaci

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2000
US
Visit site
I'm getting a PCI Communications Device found and don't know where the driver is. Trying to install a USR 56k Voice/Fax internal modem. The modem is not being found in autodetect (Win98) mode. Any advice?
Thanks

ok i have the same problem as everyone else here my computer says that there is no driver installed for my pci communications device(modem). I have the installation diskette for my modem but it does nothing to repair the problem. The other problem is that when I go to either or I cannot find the right driver for my modem. its model number is 0766, and its product number is 3CP263594A OEM. I can't find this anywhere and its really frustrating. Does anyone know where to find a driver or more importantly how o fix the problem?

Having a similar problem. I just got a new P1900 system (upgraded from a P133). I moved a Diamond Supramax 56K modem from the previous system to the new one (it worked fine in the old) and I cannot get win98 to recognize the modem in the new system. I think the problem has to do with teh IRQ, but after 5 hours of playing around, I have still yet to solve the problem. Any help?

Thanks JR

Having a similar problem. I just got a new P1900 system (upgraded from a P133). I moved a Diamond Supramax 56K modem from the previous system to the new one (it worked fine in the old) and I cannot get win98 to recognize the modem in the new system. I think the problem has to do with teh IRQ, but after 5 hours of playing around, I have still yet to solve the problem. Any help?

Thanks JR

I am having problems connecting to the internet this is becouse i have no driver files loaded for the pci communications device so that when i try to connect to the internet it carnt detect my modem. when i go into the device manager on pci communications device adn click update driver files it carnt seem to find them even with the windows 98 disk also i dont know what my modem is called could you please help

i am having the same problem. i have my modem driver but my modem won't work because the pci communication device wants a driver. i can't believe everyone has the same problem but not one person has taken the initiative to find a solution. anyways, when you guys find out, email me at fillmore36@hotmail.com and clue me in. it is frustrating not having the modem work because of this damn pci device

Ok, I got the problem discussed aboved sorted on my PC. Firstly I followed the link provided by "dreami", Following the instructions there I indentified my modem (it turned out to be Lucent Win Modem). Using the Vendor ID, Device ID, etc, I followed the link where I identified the manufacturer & model. From there I went to the manufacturers site, downloaded and installed the drivers, rebooted and hey presto, problem solved!
Thanks for all the help...

Colin.

I was encouraged when I saw that dolomite was having the same problem as me and even has the Modem. The problem is that I do know what make and model my modem is and when I try to point the "Pci Communication Device" at the driver on my Us Robotics cd, it doesn't work.

If "dolomite" is out there and hase resovled the issue, could you post your procedure?

Thanks,
C

ok what I've learned so far is that my modem is installed in comm port #2 which isn't even a pci slot. So the solution in my mind is that I should save all my desired information and then format my hard drive and then re-install my modem correctly. Well if anyone ou there dis-agrees with this course of action please let me know, because I'm experimenting.

Dolomite, formatting your hard drive is a pretty drastic step to take. It sounds like you have a US Robotics Sportster. I have always found 2 things with hardware that I buy for my PCs.

1) the driver that they ship with the hardware rarely works. Immediately download the latest driver for your hardware when you buy it.

2) You can rarely find a reference to the product based on its product number or any identifying marks on the hardware. You need the box, which most of us throw out immediately after buying it.

I usually use the Device Manager to install drivers when this kind of thing happens. If you go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, there should be a ? under Other. If you select that device, and check Properties, you should be able to install a new or upgrade the driver. Because this is a WinModem, you will need exactly the right driver. That means it must be for your product and your OS. I didn't see where you said what OS you were using, but it seems like it is 9x or ME. If it is XP, I'd just say good luck!

At this point, you should be able to point the system to the exact driver that you want to install. Don't accept any of the "I'll find it for you" crap from your machine. Get the driver that you think will work, and select exactly that driver.

You may be able to find some drivers at or On these sites, you may be able to find something based on the information that you have, not what USR/3Com have expected of you.

Also, I am curious how you know that the modem is on COM2 if you can't install the driver. If it truly is, you will have to disable COM2 in your BIOS. You can do this by entering your BIOS during boot up and disabling the serial port that is using IRQ 3, Address 3E8.

pansophic

I have a pctel 56k modem and drivers yet my computer says there is an unknown pci communications device, i searched fro the driver on my modem driver floppy, windows 98se cd, windows update and modem drivers on my hard drive, it said none were compatible. Firstly what exactly is the pci communications device (i don't think its the modem) and where is the driver?

Mervyn007,

You must get the driver for your modem from the manufacturer. I'd start here:

And yes, the PCI communications device that your system sees is your modem.

Unlike the older, hardware based modems, WinModems have no PCI controller on board. This is good because it makes them cheap, but it is bad because it makes them VERY picky. You need to have a driver written specifically for the chipset that you are using, and some of the manufacturers are not very helpful in developing good drivers or readily identifying which driver works on what OS for which modem.

Hopefully you can find yours at their site. If not, you may want to try and see if they have any pointers for you.

pansophic

a friend asked me to format their computer, however when reloading the drivers and other software i was unable to install the modem drivers. In fact windows couldnt detect a modem at all, i have had a look at the modem itself it appears to be in com port 4 and it is made by conexant, being as how i havent a clue what modem it is as it aint mine, how do i find out because the owner doesnt know either, clever innit?

also forgot to mention i dont have the drivers disk that came with the modem, i am having to try every driver there is until i find the right one, not a nice prospect

Man, ohh man! When it rains, it pours. Everyone here seems to be having the same trouble with little answers. There is a load of drivers at , but you need to have a user name and password. I, too, reformated my HD. Well, actually my neighbor was tossing his IBM and I said..."Hey, I can fix that!" Well, me and my big mouth. His hard drive was fried so I replaced it and reinstalled Win98. And now I am here with the PCI Comm Device problem. If you know your model #, vendor, etc., plug that info into any search engine to save hours of hunting the manufacturer's site for your model. I'll letcha know what else I find out. BTW anyone having trouble with PCI Serial controller driver not found? or is this the same thing?

Here is some info on how to locate a product code for your modem from US Robotics. FOr those of you who dont know your modem information, this might help.

This is straight from the site. The addy is

Good luck, all,

Shawna

3. Download and run the Modem Identification Wizard.

(If you choose this method, print out these instructions first.)

Note: The Modem Identification Wizard will only identify U.S. Robotics modems. The Modem Identification Wizard will determine which model you have and will tell you your Product Code. Follow these instructions to download, install, and run the wizard.

Step 1
Download the Modem Identification Wizard.
Step 2
Disconnect from your Internet Service Provider.

Step 3
Find the downloaded miu.exe file on your computer. Double-click this to install the Modem Identification Wizard. Once the wizard is installed, double-click the Modem Identification Wizard icon to run the program.

Step 4
Click Next on the Welcome screen.

Step 5
When the wizard asks you to select a modem, choose the appropriate U.S. Robotics modem, and click the Details button.

Step 6
The Product ID and Model Number will appear at the top of the screen. Click Print or write the numbers on a piece of paper. Click Cancel.

The Product ID Number and the Model Number should appear at the top of the Modem Identification window as demonstrated above. For specific number descriptions and uses, access the Code Node.

Ok, that worked. Let me spell out what I did now that my modem is detected and working.

Step 1: locate your modem driver @ the manufacturer's site or through a search engine. Save the driver on an external disk (Floppy or CD-Rom that you can find easily again) and unzip the files to that disk.

Step 2: once you have the driver, click on "Start" button at the lower left of your desktop. Then click on settings, then control panel.

Step 3: click on system icon in the control panel. Click the 2nd tab (devices). The easiest way to do this is to choose to show devices by type not by connection. If you have not been able to install your driver for the "PCI Communications Device" (which contrary to popular belief, IS your modem), then you will find a ? Other Devices in the list. This is where you want to reinstall your drivers.

Step 4: Find the "?" or "!" icon that should be under other devices and titled PCI Communications Device. Double-click on it.

Step 5: Go through the various prompts until it asks you to reinstall your driver. Click on reinstall.

Step 6: Choose a device from the list. Do not have the computer try to find it for you because it doesnt know what it is looking for.

Step 7: Click on "Have Disk"

Step 8: When it prompts you to tell the computer which drive to look in, click browse and find the path where you unzipped your driver files to. That should do the trick.

If this doesnt work, I don't know what to tell you. Those of you who do not know the 3 W's of your modem (Who, What, and Where) I wish you the best.

SHawna

ladyluck95, please don't post in 4 different places.
You MUST find the driver for your modem, it's a simple Motorolla SM56.
Download the version you need for 98, save it to floppy (it may not fit though!) and take it over to your Win98 computer.
Do you not have the original install disk for the modem?
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

ok my computer cannot find the PCI Communications device drivers or the PCI multimediea audio device drivers. i've read this topic and all the responses and tried some of the solutions but nothings worked. is there anything else that would help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back